Questions

Excel 2010 - How Do I Stop This?

+
0 Votes

Excel 2010 - How Do I Stop This?

baja463
Occasionally (not always), while copying data into a Excel 2010 spreadsheet, everything slows to a crawl and this message appears below the sheet: "Contacting the server for information. Press ESC to cancel." This can take up to 20-25 seconds -- not an eternity, but it seems so when the boss is hovering and waiting for his sheet. Anyone know why this message appears and how to stop it?
+
0 Votes
jck
Collapse -

You're probably copying from an internet webpage...right?

When you copy and paste from a webpage, the content is web-based. Therefore in internet-aware applications, the content you paste is still web-based and the internet-aware application will go out to the web-based source for the content.

That's my best guess at it.

+
0 Votes
baja463
Collapse -

Ok, that makes SOME sense, but ... why check to see that what's on the clipboard is the same as what's on the website?

Why go "out to the web-based source for the content" if I have the content and and pasting it?

Moreover, why doesn't it happen every time?

+
0 Votes
Atharton_CB
Collapse -

This annoying behavior, is also with Outlook 2007 and other Office programs, mostly occurs when the clipboard has HTML formatted content .
One of the possible solutions is to do a "Paste Special" (click the down pointing arrow near the Paste Icon) and select "Unformatted Text" instead of the default "HTML format"