Questions

Exchange 2003 mailbox size

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Exchange 2003 mailbox size

colmgdonnelly
Hi i know with exchange 2003 sp2 the mailbox store limit size can be expanded to 75gb. Just wondering if there is a physical limit set to individual mailboxes. (for example outlook pst's can only be 2gb in size) is there a similar restriction on a users mailbox size?
  • +
    0 Votes
    ben.rattigan

The Mailbox store on your exchange server allows you to specify mailbox size limitations. You can limit individual mailboxes from the Exchange options in the users account in Active Directory but this is not done by default.

+
    0 Votes
    colmgdonnelly

Im aware of this thanks. But therefore is it possible to cap a given user for example at 30gb?

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Yes, it is possible to cap a given user.

+
    0 Votes
    tech-chick

I have several users who voraciously consume space on our Exchange server (sending lots of screenshots and keeping every one of them for all posterity!). We upgraded from 2000 to 2003 to make more room. A person who always has the largest mailbox recently asked for even more room. We increased her from 500 MB and to 2 GB, and the extra 1.5 GB was consumed in just a couple of months. When we attempted to give the user 5 GB with a warning issued at 2 GB. I received this message: "The value for 'Prohibit send at (KB)' is not valid Specify a value from 0 through 2097151." Microsoft default mailbox limit is 2 GB. There is however an article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930366 that explains an ADSIEDIT procedure that can override the limit. However, I am not overly anxious to override the default, as ADSIEDIT is not a tool whose use I take lightly ? its misuse by a former coworker resulted in a crashed domain. Also, my backups are already taking almost all night. Allowing users to go over 2 GB could result in unmanageable backups. We assist our users in setting up archives, and with the new improved searching capabilities in Outlook 2007, I see no reason not to use archiving.

+
    0 Votes
    cms_negi

Hi,
    You can create the policy on Mailbox store,you can limit on the size of user mailbox & the same will be implement on all the users who have the mailbox on this mailbox store.

+
    0 Votes
    cms_negi

Hi,
    You can create the policy on Mailbox store,you can limit on the size of user mailbox & the same will be implement on all the users who have the mailbox on this mailbox store.

• +
    0 Votes
    ben.rattigan

The Mailbox store on your exchange server allows you to specify mailbox size limitations. You can limit individual mailboxes from the Exchange options in the users account in Active Directory but this is not done by default.

+
    0 Votes
    colmgdonnelly

Im aware of this thanks. But therefore is it possible to cap a given user for example at 30gb?

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Yes, it is possible to cap a given user.

+
    0 Votes
    tech-chick

I have several users who voraciously consume space on our Exchange server (sending lots of screenshots and keeping every one of them for all posterity!). We upgraded from 2000 to 2003 to make more room. A person who always has the largest mailbox recently asked for even more room. We increased her from 500 MB and to 2 GB, and the extra 1.5 GB was consumed in just a couple of months. When we attempted to give the user 5 GB with a warning issued at 2 GB. I received this message: "The value for 'Prohibit send at (KB)' is not valid Specify a value from 0 through 2097151." Microsoft default mailbox limit is 2 GB. There is however an article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930366 that explains an ADSIEDIT procedure that can override the limit. However, I am not overly anxious to override the default, as ADSIEDIT is not a tool whose use I take lightly ? its misuse by a former coworker resulted in a crashed domain. Also, my backups are already taking almost all night. Allowing users to go over 2 GB could result in unmanageable backups. We assist our users in setting up archives, and with the new improved searching capabilities in Outlook 2007, I see no reason not to use archiving.

+
    0 Votes
    cms_negi

Hi,

+
    0 Votes
    cms_negi

Hi,