Questions

Exchange 2003 Question

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Exchange 2003 Question

mr.sweetchuck
Hi All,
A bit of a strange one but I will try to explain it as best I can.

I have a Windows server (2003 SP2, SBS edition) running Exchange 2003 SP2 and on it, I have configured each receipiant with three email addresses.

The first is the primary email address:
firstname.lastname@company.ie

The second, is the same as above, but without the dot in the middle (people kept forgetting the "." between the first and last names.)
firstnamelastname@company.ie

The third was included as the company registered the coporate website with the ".eu" extension and with the expectation of people mistakenly adding the .eu to the end of email addresses:
firstname.lastname@company.eu

When I initially configured the .eu extension, I sucessfully tested it without insident or problem. Now however, for some unknown reason all emails directed to the ".eu" extension are now forwarded to a generic email address, (used for corporate anouncements, etc.)

So far, my debugging was as follows:

1. With an external email account (my GMail) I emailed my email address firstname.lastname@company.ie.
This works fine

2. With an external email account (my GMail) I emailed my secondary email address firstnamelastname@company.ie
This works fine

3. With an external email account (my GMail) I emailed my tersary email address firstname.lastname@company.eu.

4. Review the corporate firewall. Emails are arriving into the domain with the ".eu" extension, as expected.

5. Review the Exchange System Manager Tracking Centre. Emails are now being sent to the generic email address, not the firstname.lastname@company.eu address.

6. Reviewed the receipiant policies. All look OK.

I don't understand why this is happening. Could anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chuck.
  • +
    0 Votes
    Dedlbug

This should be straight forward. It sounds like you wish Exchange to accept mail for two domains. In the Default Recipent Policy, make sure both domains are present: company.ie and company.eu. Set one as the Primary (The one you will send from) Apply the policy.
    Next Open Active Directory Users and Computers. Locate a user and look at the email accounts. Ensure the accounts are correct as well as the primary account. Add any SMTP addresses if necessary. Also look at the Exchange General tab and Delivery Options. Ensure the settings are correct.

If these settings are correct, and the MX records for both domains point to your Exchange Server, Exchange should receive mail for either domain and deliver it to the appropiate mailbox noted in AD.

I am still unsure after reading your question, what is the generic email? Please let us know if this helps. =]

• +
    0 Votes
    Dedlbug

This should be straight forward. It sounds like you wish Exchange to accept mail for two domains. In the Default Recipent Policy, make sure both domains are present: company.ie and company.eu. Set one as the Primary (The one you will send from) Apply the policy.
    Next Open Active Directory Users and Computers. Locate a user and look at the email accounts. Ensure the accounts are correct as well as the primary account. Add any SMTP addresses if necessary. Also look at the Exchange General tab and Delivery Options. Ensure the settings are correct.

If these settings are correct, and the MX records for both domains point to your Exchange Server, Exchange should receive mail for either domain and deliver it to the appropiate mailbox noted in AD.

I am still unsure after reading your question, what is the generic email? Please let us know if this helps. =]