Questions

Getting Faxes on Microsoft Server 2003 (Standard Edition) in PDF Format

+
0 Votes

Getting Faxes on Microsoft Server 2003 (Standard Edition) in PDF Format

businesscore
Hi,
I recently packed few fax machines in their boxes and implemented Windows Server 2003's Fax Service. All working well... Touch wood...
But my users are tough guys (They always are) and they don't like the TIFF format because of bad behaviour while printing, and they asked me to change the format to PDF.

Is this possible without using printer on the server (This is possible, but it forces me then to have only one destination for incoming routing) I would like to have all the same, just to be able to get the faxes in PDF format.

Anyone had luck with it?

Thanks,
Dvir
  • +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

There's a free program called CutePDF which installs itself as another printer. The users could right click the TIFF file and choose print, then select the CutePDF printer which converts the file and allows them to give it a name and choose destination folder while saving. Then, they could print the PDF from there.

I know it's one more step in the process, but it opens doors in other areas (any printable file can be made into PDF). So, the trade-off might be worth it to your users.

+
    0 Votes
    businesscore

I understand your recommendation, and they have already a PDF printer installed (Bullzip PDF) however sometimes the TIFF file does not print itself nicely, it is printing like a picture so it relies on the printer configurations on the PC. While a pure conversion to PDF on the server will make sure the file will be viewed and printed the same on every PC...

Any other solutions? There must be some kind of addon available, did anyone find it?

Thanks,
    Dvir

+
    0 Votes
    jmbaynes

I had the same problem, and I installed PDF Creator 1.51 from SourceForge. It allows you to automatically save PDF's to a predefined destination. I'm using it and it works like a charm. Just setup your fax service to print to the PDF Creator "printer" and it works. Beautiful.

• +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

There's a free program called CutePDF which installs itself as another printer. The users could right click the TIFF file and choose print, then select the CutePDF printer which converts the file and allows them to give it a name and choose destination folder while saving. Then, they could print the PDF from there.

I know it's one more step in the process, but it opens doors in other areas (any printable file can be made into PDF). So, the trade-off might be worth it to your users.

+
    0 Votes
    businesscore

I understand your recommendation, and they have already a PDF printer installed (Bullzip PDF) however sometimes the TIFF file does not print itself nicely, it is printing like a picture so it relies on the printer configurations on the PC. While a pure conversion to PDF on the server will make sure the file will be viewed and printed the same on every PC...

Any other solutions? There must be some kind of addon available, did anyone find it?

Thanks,
    Dvir

+
    0 Votes
    jmbaynes

I had the same problem, and I installed PDF Creator 1.51 from SourceForge. It allows you to automatically save PDF's to a predefined destination. I'm using it and it works like a charm. Just setup your fax service to print to the PDF Creator "printer" and it works. Beautiful.