Questions

GX110 CD drive

+
0 Votes

GX110 CD drive

themaestroofemail
I recently got a Dell Optiplex GX110 computer so I can convert it to a Linux box. It has a Pentium 3 processor. It came with no CD drive, so I inserted one.

My question is, how do I get it to recognize the drive?

Things I've tried:
- BIOS drive settings
- Add New Hardware (Win 98)
  • +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Before any OS can recognize and use a CD drive, the BIOS must recognize the drive.

Check the jumpers on the back of the drive.
    If the drive is on it's own separate IDE cable, the jumper can be set to either Master, Slave, or Cable select.

If the drive is on the same cable as the hard drive, the CD drive should be set to Slave, and the hard drive MUST be set to Master with Slave Present.

If you are using a cable select style cable, both drives can be set to cable select. But, the drives must be connected to the proper connectors on the cable.

You should also make sure the IDE connector is plugged in correctly. You might want to try a new cable.

You can do a partial verification of the CD drive buy placing a music CD in the drive with the computer on and seeing if it plays over the headphones.

Finally, if the BIOS does see the drive, you often need to update the chip-set IDE drivers for Windows 98 to find the CD drive. You can download these from Dell, or the chip-set manufacture (Intel?).

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    themaestroofemail

Thanks.

• +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Before any OS can recognize and use a CD drive, the BIOS must recognize the drive.

Check the jumpers on the back of the drive.
    If the drive is on it's own separate IDE cable, the jumper can be set to either Master, Slave, or Cable select.

If the drive is on the same cable as the hard drive, the CD drive should be set to Slave, and the hard drive MUST be set to Master with Slave Present.

If you are using a cable select style cable, both drives can be set to cable select. But, the drives must be connected to the proper connectors on the cable.

You should also make sure the IDE connector is plugged in correctly. You might want to try a new cable.

You can do a partial verification of the CD drive buy placing a music CD in the drive with the computer on and seeing if it plays over the headphones.

Finally, if the BIOS does see the drive, you often need to update the chip-set IDE drivers for Windows 98 to find the CD drive. You can download these from Dell, or the chip-set manufacture (Intel?).

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    themaestroofemail

Thanks.