Questions

Hard Drive: 750GB 7200 rpm vs 1TB 5400 rpm

+
0 Votes

Hard Drive: 750GB 7200 rpm vs 1TB 5400 rpm

MitkoPitko
Hi Guys,

Would you please advise which Hard Drive I should choose given these choices:

750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s, or 1TB 5400 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive?

Thank you,

Mitko
  • +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

I have never really found the 7200 to be that much better than the 5400's. Both feel super sluggish. I'd personally go for the more space. Higher RPM just means more battery power usage and more to go wrong if there is a vibration.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

But you should look at the actual Power Requirements of both drives and the Buffer Sizes. I would go for the one with the larger L2 Cache and then if they are still both the same the one that requires the less Current.

Then if this is important to your application the bigger one in Capacity.

If this is for a NB the one with the lower Current requirement will allow the battery to last longer when it's running on battery.

Then if everything else is equal I would go for the one with the longer warranty.

Personally I have found no difference in Performance between either the 7200 or the 5400 RPM Drives if all else is the same. But if one has more L2 Cache it will appear to perform better.

Col

• +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

I have never really found the 7200 to be that much better than the 5400's. Both feel super sluggish. I'd personally go for the more space. Higher RPM just means more battery power usage and more to go wrong if there is a vibration.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

But you should look at the actual Power Requirements of both drives and the Buffer Sizes. I would go for the one with the larger L2 Cache and then if they are still both the same the one that requires the less Current.

Then if this is important to your application the bigger one in Capacity.

If this is for a NB the one with the lower Current requirement will allow the battery to last longer when it's running on battery.

Then if everything else is equal I would go for the one with the longer warranty.

Personally I have found no difference in Performance between either the 7200 or the 5400 RPM Drives if all else is the same. But if one has more L2 Cache it will appear to perform better.

Col