Questions

Answer for:

Hate programming, but interested in IT

Message 8 of 9

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
ITSecurityGuy

I took Programming in Basic, in 1977 at the local community college, when I was 27 and looking to get out of sales. Found out I didn't like programming, but I still wanted to work with computers. After buying a TRS-80 Model III, then working in sales for an Apple dealer and two MicroAge locations, while owning a 386sx with Windows 3.0, I was laid off when the latter MicroAge closed.

I learned of a company offering state-funded training in Desktop Publishing for the unemployed. I went for an admissions interview, although they taught primarily on the Mac. After they realized how much I had taught myself about the PC, they offered me a job as their first full time instructor to teach PageMaker etc. on the PC. I audited one class and taught the next. I went on to become an independent consultant, prior to being hired by a major pharmaceutical company into a job which usually required a college degree. (I had left college during the Vietnam War.)

I spent 7 years there, first on the HelpDesk, then in the Network Group which managed the data center, all routers and other network devices, and finally in the Desktop Engineering Group, which created the corporate desktop software image and validated every piece of software installed on any company system in the world. I was primarily responsible for desktop security. I never even had to create macros in MS Office, although I can write a pretty mean batch file, having learned DOS before windows.

BTW, I don't recommend skipping the college degree to anyone. I was just lucky to be hired by meeting the hiring manager at a job fair, face to face. Today they just collect resumes and scan them. If there is no college degree, it gets discarded. That's probably the case for just about any white collar job. It cuts the number of resumes to be actually considered from the thousands, down to several hundred, even if some of the non-college graduates might have been exceptionally qualified.