Questions

HELP !!! Dimension 5150 Will not detect Windows XP Disk !!!!

Tags:
+
0 Votes

HELP !!! Dimension 5150 Will not detect Windows XP Disk !!!!

r_rattu
hey all,
my computer just crashed and i wanted to do a reboot using my Windows XP disk Which i got with i bought my destop, but when i it placed the Disk in to the Drive, the computer would not detect the Disk, and therefore not run,
i then went in to the BIOS configuration to set the CD as the Boot Priority, But still no luck in getting the Destop to detect and Run My Windows XP Disk,
i thought that i had a faulty disk or CD drive , so i placed My Windows XP Disk in to my sister laptop and it worked fine !! even when i did a reboot that that laptop just to make sure. And i put another software CD in to my Desktop just to make sure that my Disk Drive was ok, and it worked fine,
So i have no Idea and Clue why my Dimension 5150 will not detect and will no run my Windows XP disk,
need help guys, need to use my windows XP disk to repair my boot files and get my work of it
any help

cheers rav,
  • +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Often, when booting to CD, there is text on the screen which says something like "To continue booting to CD, press a key" and it has a timer running. If you don't see the text because it's behind the DELL logo, the timer will expire and it will continue to try and boot to the next item in the boot list, often the hard drive.

So, with the XP CD in the drive, turn the system on. Shortly after you turn the system on, try pressing any key except the one which enters the BIOS, like maybe an arrow key or the spacebar... maybe even multiple times while it's booting.

See if that solves the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

nope, nothing and even when i get in to safe mode, and put the XP disk in the drive, it still will not detect the Disk, i just

+
    0 Votes
    Snuffy09

if your drive is just a DVD drive you could get this problem.

Steal your sisters cdrom drive and the give it back after you have XP installed.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

i wish i could, but she has got a laptop, cant really swap the drives around, Can i ?

+
    0 Votes
    langr

I'm going to assume worst-case: you're unable to configure BIOS to recognize CD drive to boot from Windows CD (first, you may want to try physically disconnecting the drive, then reconnecting).

I've encountered this situation before and wound up removing the hard drive, connecting to another computer (via USB adapter - very handy to have around and only cost about $20), then either transferring the files or running diskcheck to rebuild files/index.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

in the drive? Did you boot an alternate OS such as Linux?

Just to clarify, you're trying to boot from the XP disk, correct?

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

hi, i booted the computer in safe mode, then i placed another software CD in to the drive, it loaded and played the CD, but when i placed my XP Disk in to the drive, it didnt detect it and did nothing

+
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

Sometimes it helps to change the boot sequence by making CDROM the first boot device and disable the rest in the sequence and thus force it to boot from CDROM.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If the XP disk is being put into the drive of a running machine and it can't be read from there, how do you expect the machine to be able to actually boot from it?

If this is a copied CD, it's probably a bad copy. If this is an original from Microsoft, it's obviously damaged.

+
    0 Votes

Snuffy09

his sisters computer can read it

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

such that polishing the CD can make it readable. I would try making a duplicate of the CD and see if that works.

I've had cases where drives can read one CD but not another, as some CDs use slightly different materials, and if the drive is marginal, it may act in unusual ways.

When the CD drive is trying to read the disk, what should be happening is:

1) spin-up (you should hear motor revving)

2)access (you should hear clunk-clunk of disk heads moving

3) Data transfer/boot, etc.

If the PC is having troubles reading the disk, you will hear it either:

a) repeat the spin-up, spin-down sequence repeatedly

b) repeat the access attempts (ka-chunk, ka-chunk) at least three or four times, then give up.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

yep, your right with the second,

b) repeat the access attempts (ka-chunk, ka-chunk) at least three or four times, then give up

how do i create a duplicate ?

+
    0 Votes
    tintoman

that you have not correctly set the boot order to boot from the CD drive
    First of all you will need to boot to the bios setup and make sure your CD drive is detected there.
    Restart the computer and press the F12 key when the Dell splash screen is showing.
    select the CD ROM drive from the list, press enter
    Press any key to boot from the disk

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

hi,
    been in to BIOS and set up the boot order, so that the CD drive is First, But Still nothing happens, have placed the XP disk in, and restarted the computer up nothings happens, just says device not detected,
    im startin to think that my CD drive just doesnt Read OS disks !!

+
    0 Votes
    Darryl~ Moderator

DELL has the option of pressing F12 which will pop up a "one time boot menu"....it overrides the BIOS boot settings.

See if you have the option to boot from CD after pressing F12 (right after the DELL splash screen)

+
    0 Votes

yes

r_rattu

yep i pressed F12,but still nothing

+
    0 Votes
    Darryl~ Moderator

it doesn't pop up the boot options menu? It should....and I assume you "tapped" it several time while booting just to make sure you didn't miss it.
    I don't have a DELL here to look at, but I think there is an option in the BIOS settings to enable/disable the boot menu option...take a look & see if it's there....maybe somebody else on here can suggest if I'm corrent in that or not.

In any case, if you get it to pop up, it should have "boot to cd/dvd" in the list of options....if it's not there, it would sound like either you have a problem with the cd drive or it is disabled.....if it is there, you should be able to put your XP cd in at that point & select boot to cd & you should be okay.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

placed My Windows XP Disk in to my sister laptop and it worked fine !! even when i did a reboot that that laptop just to make sure.

were you booting from the CD or just reading it.

+
    0 Votes
    yesiamuplate

Dells sometimes have an OS install mode in the BIOS. You will need to turn that option on. It's probably under the system setup subgroup.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

When set to On, memory is limited to 256 MB to allow the installation of older operating systems that have 2 GB memory limits.

+
    0 Votes
    langr

I'm going to assume worst-case: you're unable to configure BIOS to recognize CD drive to boot from Windows CD (first, you may want to try physically disconnecting the drive, then reconnecting).

I've encountered this situation before and wound up removing the hard drive, connecting to another computer (via USB adapter - very handy to have around and only cost about $20), then either transferring the files or running diskcheck to rebuild files/index.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

+
    0 Votes
    tintoman

First of all you will need to boot to the bios setup and make sure your CD drive is detected there.
    Restart the computer and press the F12 key when the Dell splash screen is showing.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

placed My Windows XP Disk in to my sister laptop and it worked fine !! even when i did a reboot that that laptop just to make sure.

+
    0 Votes
    yesiamuplate

Dells sometimes have an OS install mode in the BIOS. You will need to turn that option on. It's probably under the system setup subgroup.

• +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Often, when booting to CD, there is text on the screen which says something like "To continue booting to CD, press a key" and it has a timer running. If you don't see the text because it's behind the DELL logo, the timer will expire and it will continue to try and boot to the next item in the boot list, often the hard drive.

So, with the XP CD in the drive, turn the system on. Shortly after you turn the system on, try pressing any key except the one which enters the BIOS, like maybe an arrow key or the spacebar... maybe even multiple times while it's booting.

See if that solves the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

nope, nothing and even when i get in to safe mode, and put the XP disk in the drive, it still will not detect the Disk, i just

+
    0 Votes
    Snuffy09

if your drive is just a DVD drive you could get this problem.

Steal your sisters cdrom drive and the give it back after you have XP installed.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

i wish i could, but she has got a laptop, cant really swap the drives around, Can i ?

+
    0 Votes
    langr

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

hi, i booted the computer in safe mode, then i placed another software CD in to the drive, it loaded and played the CD, but when i placed my XP Disk in to the drive, it didnt detect it and did nothing

+
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

Sometimes it helps to change the boot sequence by making CDROM the first boot device and disable the rest in the sequence and thus force it to boot from CDROM.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If the XP disk is being put into the drive of a running machine and it can't be read from there, how do you expect the machine to be able to actually boot from it?

If this is a copied CD, it's probably a bad copy. If this is an original from Microsoft, it's obviously damaged.

+
    0 Votes

Snuffy09

his sisters computer can read it

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

such that polishing the CD can make it readable. I would try making a duplicate of the CD and see if that works.

I've had cases where drives can read one CD but not another, as some CDs use slightly different materials, and if the drive is marginal, it may act in unusual ways.

When the CD drive is trying to read the disk, what should be happening is:

1) spin-up (you should hear motor revving)

2)access (you should hear clunk-clunk of disk heads moving

3) Data transfer/boot, etc.

If the PC is having troubles reading the disk, you will hear it either:

b) repeat the access attempts (ka-chunk, ka-chunk) at least three or four times, then give up.

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

yep, your right with the second,

b) repeat the access attempts (ka-chunk, ka-chunk) at least three or four times, then give up

how do i create a duplicate ?

+
    0 Votes
    tintoman

+
    0 Votes
    r_rattu

hi,
    been in to BIOS and set up the boot order, so that the CD drive is First, But Still nothing happens, have placed the XP disk in, and restarted the computer up nothings happens, just says device not detected,
    im startin to think that my CD drive just doesnt Read OS disks !!

+
    0 Votes
    Darryl~ Moderator

DELL has the option of pressing F12 which will pop up a "one time boot menu"....it overrides the BIOS boot settings.

See if you have the option to boot from CD after pressing F12 (right after the DELL splash screen)

+
    0 Votes

yes

r_rattu

yep i pressed F12,but still nothing

+
    0 Votes
    Darryl~ Moderator

it doesn't pop up the boot options menu? It should....and I assume you "tapped" it several time while booting just to make sure you didn't miss it.
    I don't have a DELL here to look at, but I think there is an option in the BIOS settings to enable/disable the boot menu option...take a look & see if it's there....maybe somebody else on here can suggest if I'm corrent in that or not.

In any case, if you get it to pop up, it should have "boot to cd/dvd" in the list of options....if it's not there, it would sound like either you have a problem with the cd drive or it is disabled.....if it is there, you should be able to put your XP cd in at that point & select boot to cd & you should be okay.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

+
    0 Votes
    yesiamuplate

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

When set to On, memory is limited to 256 MB to allow the installation of older operating systems that have 2 GB memory limits.

+
    0 Votes
    langr

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

+
    0 Votes
    tintoman

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

+
    0 Votes
    yesiamuplate