Questions

Help in using Window 2003 server WSUS ,,,,please help

+
0 Votes

Help in using Window 2003 server WSUS ,,,,please help

lok_f5b99
currently i had 80 window 2000 professional pc in my company, but it does not connect to the internet to auto update the patches...

So some of u recommended me to use WSUS in window 2003 to diployed the patches to all the 80 system...

But now i got another problem...My boss don't want the window 2003 connect to microsoft window to automatic download the patches using WSUS...

He want me to download it manually and link the WSUS to the place where i save the patches... to get the updates and use the WSUS to diployed the patche to all the system...

Now that i had download the patches and save in in C:\patches, but how to connect the WSUS and the the patches from there???

Please advice and help me out here....or is there another method to deployed all the patches to all the system, without installing the patches 1 by 1 to all the system?

Please help me out
  • +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3BA03939-A5A9-407B-A4B0-1290BA5182F8&displaylang=en

that's a link for the WSUS step by step white paper which will give you the steps necessary to have WSUS look for updates in a different location than the default setup location.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

The white paper is useless, it just mention about auto update by connecting to microsoft ... it did not show clearly how to get it form other location...

Inaddition, Microsoft Windows Server Update Services? white paper , say to connect to other WSUS to get the update...

I just got i WUS ... that should not connect to the internet....

Any other advice to configure the SUS???? Plesae help out

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

in that white paper is where the updates are stored [meaning the path] during installation WSUS tells you the default location of where updates are stored. If you download updates, you then need to put them in the folder where updates are stored by default. However, the simplest way is to get all updates from Microsoft, then push them to your workstations.

If your boss is adament about not using the internet, then you should explain to him that it's the only "free" was to get them. Microsoft will charge you a nominal cost to get them on CD nonetheless there is a charge.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

Every company had their own policy. If my boss really don't want to use WSUS connecting to microsoft, i also cannot do anything...

All... please help me... i had try to configure it and look through the white paper, but still i am not clear about it. I really don't know how to synchronize. In WSUS, there is a selection for "synchronize from an upstream window server update...." and ask me to put the server name and the port.. but i had try many times to syschronize and still cannot...

I follow the white papter to install, and create the folder D:\WSUS. I try to put all the patches into it, but the WSUS still cannot detect the patches,,,,

Please help... is there another way to imstall patches that does not required to autodownload from Microsoft?

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

you can't sync WSUS if you don't connect to Microsoft's database. That's what sync is for.

no there isn't any other way to install patches with WSUS except either get them from Microsoft or you download each one individually and stick em in the WSUS metadata folder.

you can deploy updates to workstations without WSUS using network versions of the updates but WSUS gives you a centralized way of controlling who gets em and when.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

Every company had their own policy. If my boss really don't want to use WSUS connecting to microsoft, i also cannot do anything...

All... please help me... i had try to configure it and look through the white paper, but still i am not clear about it. I really don't know how to synchronize. In WSUS, there is a selection for "synchronize from an upstream window server update...." and ask me to put the server name and the port.. but i had try many times to syschronize and still cannot...

I follow the white papter to install, and create the folder D:\WSUS. I try to put all the patches into it, but the WSUS still cannot detect the patches,,,,

Please help... is there another way to imstall patches that does not required to autodownload from Microsoft?

+
    0 Votes
    jim

Ask your boss if he would rather pay you to spend most of your working day going from computer to computer, or adjust the "company policy" to allow WSUS to do its job to sync with the Microsoft "Mother Ship" and handle patch management so that you can work on other tasks!

+
    0 Votes
    jpenrose

...but your boss is a tool. What the heck is the difference between you connecting to MU to get the updates and the WSUS server doing the same thing? It only downloads what you tell it to. WSUS uses an efficient model whereby it only downloads metadata until you approve the update from the console so in reality you're not downloading anything without your consent.

Trying to force WSUS to conform to a model it wasn't designed for is ludicrous (I mean the model where you're downloading updates to some directory and trying to get WSUS to deploy from there).

Is your boss an IT professional or a suited user that's in charge?

Talk some sense into him. Show him why using WSUS the way it was intended makes the most sense. Use SSL if it will make him feel better about the system.

-J-

+
    0 Votes
    kaalvin_singh

Hi,

Follow the link hope u wud get u r problem solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

Kalvinder

• +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3BA03939-A5A9-407B-A4B0-1290BA5182F8&displaylang=en

that's a link for the WSUS step by step white paper which will give you the steps necessary to have WSUS look for updates in a different location than the default setup location.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

The white paper is useless, it just mention about auto update by connecting to microsoft ... it did not show clearly how to get it form other location...

Inaddition, Microsoft Windows Server Update Services? white paper , say to connect to other WSUS to get the update...

I just got i WUS ... that should not connect to the internet....

Any other advice to configure the SUS???? Plesae help out

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

in that white paper is where the updates are stored [meaning the path] during installation WSUS tells you the default location of where updates are stored. If you download updates, you then need to put them in the folder where updates are stored by default. However, the simplest way is to get all updates from Microsoft, then push them to your workstations.

If your boss is adament about not using the internet, then you should explain to him that it's the only "free" was to get them. Microsoft will charge you a nominal cost to get them on CD nonetheless there is a charge.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

you can't sync WSUS if you don't connect to Microsoft's database. That's what sync is for.

no there isn't any other way to install patches with WSUS except either get them from Microsoft or you download each one individually and stick em in the WSUS metadata folder.

you can deploy updates to workstations without WSUS using network versions of the updates but WSUS gives you a centralized way of controlling who gets em and when.

+
    0 Votes
    lok_f5b99

+
    0 Votes
    jim

Ask your boss if he would rather pay you to spend most of your working day going from computer to computer, or adjust the "company policy" to allow WSUS to do its job to sync with the Microsoft "Mother Ship" and handle patch management so that you can work on other tasks!

+
    0 Votes
    jpenrose

...but your boss is a tool. What the heck is the difference between you connecting to MU to get the updates and the WSUS server doing the same thing? It only downloads what you tell it to. WSUS uses an efficient model whereby it only downloads metadata until you approve the update from the console so in reality you're not downloading anything without your consent.

Trying to force WSUS to conform to a model it wasn't designed for is ludicrous (I mean the model where you're downloading updates to some directory and trying to get WSUS to deploy from there).

Is your boss an IT professional or a suited user that's in charge?

Talk some sense into him. Show him why using WSUS the way it was intended makes the most sense. Use SSL if it will make him feel better about the system.

-J-

+
    0 Votes
    kaalvin_singh

Hi,

Follow the link hope u wud get u r problem solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

Kalvinder