Questions

Help Required for Local Administrators Group Membership on Window 2003 R2?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Help Required for Local Administrators Group Membership on Window 2003 R2?

ahsan_h
Can anyone please help me with the following?

I have created a local group called "My Group" under :
Manage Computer > Users and Groups > Groups

I want to add "My Group" to "Local Administrators" Group but this group or even the "Remote desktop Users" group is not visible when trying to add membership to Local Administrators.

Thanks in advance.
  • +
    0 Votes
    markp24

make sure your selecting the obect type

To add users to the Remote Desktop Users group
    1.Open Computer Management.

2.In the console tree, click the Local Users and Groups node.

3.In the details pane, double-click the Groups folder.

4.Double-click Remote Desktop Users, and then click Add....

5.On the Select Users dialog box, click Locations... to specify the search location.

6.Click Object Types... to specify the types of objects you want to search for.

7.Type the name you want to add in the Enter the object names to select (examples): box.

8.Click Check Names.

9.When the name is located, click OK.

Notes

By default, the Remote Desktop Users group is not populated. You must decide which users and groups should have permission to log on remotely, and then manually add them to the group.

To open Computer Management, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

or

To add users and groups to the Remote Desktop Users group by using the Remote tab
    1.Start the System tool. To start the System tool, click Start, click Run, type control system and then click OK.

2.Under Tasks, click Remote settings.

3.In the System Properties dialog box, on the Remote tab, click Select Users. Add the users or groups that need to connect to the terminal server by using Remote Desktop. The users and groups that you add are added to the Remote Desktop Users group.

Note
    Members of the local Administrators group can connect even if they are not listed.

If you select Don't allow connections to this computer on the Remote tab, no users will be able to connect remotely to this computer, even if they are members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear markp24, Thanks for the reply but this is not the case that I am looking for. I want to add a newly created local group in to Local administrators group that I am not able to do. Reason is that I am not able to see the newly created group when i try to add it into Local administrators group. As for Remote Desktop Users, I just quoted an example. i.e. I am not even able to add remote desktop users GROUP into "Local Administrators" GROUP.
    I can add domain groups to Local Admin group but not the locally created groups.

I hope you get my question now.

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

From the Command Prompt :

For Domain
    net localgroup administrators "domain\group_name" /add

For Local Server
    net localgroup administrators "Machine_Name\group_name" /add

• +
    0 Votes
    markp24

make sure your selecting the obect type

To add users to the Remote Desktop Users group
    1.Open Computer Management.

2.In the console tree, click the Local Users and Groups node.

3.In the details pane, double-click the Groups folder.

4.Double-click Remote Desktop Users, and then click Add....

5.On the Select Users dialog box, click Locations... to specify the search location.

6.Click Object Types... to specify the types of objects you want to search for.

7.Type the name you want to add in the Enter the object names to select (examples): box.

8.Click Check Names.

9.When the name is located, click OK.

Notes

By default, the Remote Desktop Users group is not populated. You must decide which users and groups should have permission to log on remotely, and then manually add them to the group.

To open Computer Management, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

or

To add users and groups to the Remote Desktop Users group by using the Remote tab
    1.Start the System tool. To start the System tool, click Start, click Run, type control system and then click OK.

2.Under Tasks, click Remote settings.

3.In the System Properties dialog box, on the Remote tab, click Select Users. Add the users or groups that need to connect to the terminal server by using Remote Desktop. The users and groups that you add are added to the Remote Desktop Users group.

Note
    Members of the local Administrators group can connect even if they are not listed.

If you select Don't allow connections to this computer on the Remote tab, no users will be able to connect remotely to this computer, even if they are members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear markp24, Thanks for the reply but this is not the case that I am looking for. I want to add a newly created local group in to Local administrators group that I am not able to do. Reason is that I am not able to see the newly created group when i try to add it into Local administrators group. As for Remote Desktop Users, I just quoted an example. i.e. I am not even able to add remote desktop users GROUP into "Local Administrators" GROUP.
    I can add domain groups to Local Admin group but not the locally created groups.

I hope you get my question now.

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

From the Command Prompt :

For Domain
    net localgroup administrators "domain\group_name" /add

For Local Server
    net localgroup administrators "Machine_Name\group_name" /add