Questions

HELP. Screen monitor problem dell inspiron 6000

+
0 Votes

HELP. Screen monitor problem dell inspiron 6000

chic_brunette
Ok I really don't know what the exact issue is besides the fact that it's definately not the laptop itself its the screen.
I'd just like to know what the problem is, me not being a computer repairs person I don't know so hopefully someone else will.
The problem anyways, is that my screen is screwed, to elaborate on that, the bottom third of my screen goes completely weird a lot lately, as in it flickers and turns into flickering lines of the background, you can't see anything on the screen behind that area, it's like it breaks off and all it is is a flickering broken screen, all you can do at that point is try and re-adjust how open the laptop is and try and twist the screen a bit which usually after a while fixes the problem temporarily so it's back to normal.
But now it basically does that daily depending on how open the monitor is and it seems to be getting worse cause lately it takes longer to get the screen back to normal once it goes bad.
Please PLEASE someone give me an idea whats wrong? Clearly it's the screen itself and nothing to do with the software or settings. Has a wire gotten loose or something? Or is it just totally breaking and I have to get a new screen or laptop period?
If its the wiring to the screen I really don't know how to check it since its a laptop?
I know this is a long post and probably requires a long answer which most ppl might not feel like bothing with but i'd really appreciate the help.
Thanks!
  • +
    0 Votes

Hi

animatech

Best of all I would avoid taking the laptop apart if I was you.
    It is sound like a hardware problem (wire or loose connection) by your post.
    If the laptop is under warranty then I will use the warranty.
    If it is not I would ask around for some recommendation and get it to a qualified repairman.

+
    0 Votes
    jkarnick

Mine was just out of warranty....a little over a year old, and after several calls to Dell, they told me that it would cost over five hundred dollars to fix it. So, I got to use the laptop for about a year, and I was screwed!

+
    0 Votes
    Absolutely

And you need a qualified technician for the repair.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Having fixed dozens and dozens of laptops:

It's either a ribbon cable is damaged, or it just needs to be re-seated into the connector where it attaches to the motherboard.

On most machines, you must remove the keyboard and the bezel between the keyboard and the screen. There are typically two connectors where the screen connects to the mobo, a small heavily shielded one that is the power for the display backlight and electronics, and a ribbon cable which is the signal cable (aka vga cable).

You inspect the ribbon cable and look for cracking or damage. Sometimes you can fix these with conductive ink, but usually not.

If you're lucky, it will work perfectly by simply re-seating the ribbon cable, or cleaning off the coffee-sugar-coke residue from the connector and re-seating it.

If this does not fix it, then typically you swap out the display (or sell the whole thing on ebay since the display is most of the cost of the unit)

If the ribbon cable were clearly bad you can probably get that as a repair part, or buy a trashed display on ebay for the part.

Of course if it's under warranty, let the dell dudes tackle it. If it's not, then you have nothing to lose. As long as you aren't one of those people who shears the lug nuts off your car or cross-threads light bulbs....

+
    0 Votes
    mjd420nova

The best thing to do would be to send it to Dell for repair. The screen replacement will only cost $230. USD from Dell. If it's still under warranty, it would only cost shipping. I replaced the one on my daughters unit, and it was free. They are easy to replace if you have the skills.

+
    0 Votes
    ccojocaru

I am having the identical problem with my 6000 and want to ensure that I am not wasting time/money in fixing it. Any help is appreciated.

+
    0 Votes
    mrjjp

Hi, your LCD screen is bad, it is a known Inspiron issue. It is very easy to replace the LCD screen. Try to find one on E-bay. If you decide to do it let me know. I can e-mail you directions....Or you can find them on the Dell website..

+
    0 Votes
    jimgusek

I talked with Dell, this fix is $500 + tax. i found a replacement online still $475 (not a big job to replace). Not impressed that after 2 yrs and alot of $$, I need to spend another $500+. I find that on mine if I hook two fingers 2/3 up the left side and push my thumb into the screen it works. Took the unit apart looking for a loose connection or similar, there is nothing in the area where I push. I still use this machine with a remote screen (not very portable). Will I buy Dell again, doubt it.

+
    0 Votes
    eclickbs

As I sit here trying to read posts to fix this problem I came across your trick of pushing the thumb into the screen and it worked thanx!...now I need to know how to get this laptop connected to a HP monitor as I don't know how long the thumb trick will work...help

+
    0 Votes
    bamac86

My Insp 6000 screen just died and is less than 2 years old and out of warranty. This computer MUST be a piece of junk if they're not warrantying them for longer than a year. That should have been a clue to me, I suppose. But being the loyal customer (sucker) I was, I went with the overpriced, underwarrantied piece of junk. I used to recommend to all my family and friends to buy Dell. Now, I am telling everyone I can not to buy. It's not worth it. I bought my 2 sons each a laptop this fall... Toshibas... each under $500 and each have been wonderful computers. They do as much, are much lighter to carry, and I don't feel ripped off. My Insp 6000 was over $1500... just think, I could've gotten 3 Toshibas for what I paid. Makes me sick!

+
    0 Votes
    ozi Eagle

Hi,

Two things that I can think of, one is that the connecting link between the screen and the case has worked loose or that there is a problem in a connection to the LCD matrix.
    If the fault can be made to come and go by flexing the screen, the its the LCD matrix.

Either way, unless you are pretty savy with disassembling the laptop, do as others have suggested and take it to a repair shop, not necessarily Dell.

Herb

+
    0 Votes

:)

shady108

this can happen with any laptop at anytime, its not manufacturer specific. Either your lcd cable has come loose (try reseating it in the back of the screen) if not you need replace the lcd :)

+
    0 Votes
    mmuximus

Hi ''Chic Brunette'' I have the same problem I did some research and it must be the video flex cable or the inverter. I'm not sure which of these two is the problem, so if you do have an answer please let me know. thanks

+
    0 Votes
    barto1

I tried to find what was wrong while having the laptop running on the user login screen, while I had the screen removed from cover. I pinched the screen between my finger and tomb around its edge and found at a point just above the power icon at the bottom left corner (about twice the icons own height above it). I found by keeping pressure at this point fixed the problem. I needed a thin clip that would fit on the screen back in the screen cover. I used a 1/4 drive socket rack clip (ratchet and socket) from which I remover the side rack clips leaving the square which the socket would sit on, I then placed this on the screen at the point I need to keep under pressure rectifying what seem to be a bad connection with in the screen its self. I hope this helps.

• +
    0 Votes

Hi

animatech

Best of all I would avoid taking the laptop apart if I was you.
    It is sound like a hardware problem (wire or loose connection) by your post.
    If the laptop is under warranty then I will use the warranty.
    If it is not I would ask around for some recommendation and get it to a qualified repairman.

+
    0 Votes
    jkarnick

Mine was just out of warranty....a little over a year old, and after several calls to Dell, they told me that it would cost over five hundred dollars to fix it. So, I got to use the laptop for about a year, and I was screwed!

+
    0 Votes
    Absolutely

And you need a qualified technician for the repair.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Having fixed dozens and dozens of laptops:

It's either a ribbon cable is damaged, or it just needs to be re-seated into the connector where it attaches to the motherboard.

On most machines, you must remove the keyboard and the bezel between the keyboard and the screen. There are typically two connectors where the screen connects to the mobo, a small heavily shielded one that is the power for the display backlight and electronics, and a ribbon cable which is the signal cable (aka vga cable).

You inspect the ribbon cable and look for cracking or damage. Sometimes you can fix these with conductive ink, but usually not.

If you're lucky, it will work perfectly by simply re-seating the ribbon cable, or cleaning off the coffee-sugar-coke residue from the connector and re-seating it.

If this does not fix it, then typically you swap out the display (or sell the whole thing on ebay since the display is most of the cost of the unit)

If the ribbon cable were clearly bad you can probably get that as a repair part, or buy a trashed display on ebay for the part.

Of course if it's under warranty, let the dell dudes tackle it. If it's not, then you have nothing to lose. As long as you aren't one of those people who shears the lug nuts off your car or cross-threads light bulbs....

+
    0 Votes
    mjd420nova

The best thing to do would be to send it to Dell for repair. The screen replacement will only cost $230. USD from Dell. If it's still under warranty, it would only cost shipping. I replaced the one on my daughters unit, and it was free. They are easy to replace if you have the skills.

+
    0 Votes
    ccojocaru

I am having the identical problem with my 6000 and want to ensure that I am not wasting time/money in fixing it. Any help is appreciated.

+
    0 Votes
    mrjjp

Hi, your LCD screen is bad, it is a known Inspiron issue. It is very easy to replace the LCD screen. Try to find one on E-bay. If you decide to do it let me know. I can e-mail you directions....Or you can find them on the Dell website..

+
    0 Votes
    jimgusek

I talked with Dell, this fix is $500 + tax. i found a replacement online still $475 (not a big job to replace). Not impressed that after 2 yrs and alot of $$, I need to spend another $500+. I find that on mine if I hook two fingers 2/3 up the left side and push my thumb into the screen it works. Took the unit apart looking for a loose connection or similar, there is nothing in the area where I push. I still use this machine with a remote screen (not very portable). Will I buy Dell again, doubt it.

+
    0 Votes
    eclickbs

As I sit here trying to read posts to fix this problem I came across your trick of pushing the thumb into the screen and it worked thanx!...now I need to know how to get this laptop connected to a HP monitor as I don't know how long the thumb trick will work...help

+
    0 Votes
    bamac86

My Insp 6000 screen just died and is less than 2 years old and out of warranty. This computer MUST be a piece of junk if they're not warrantying them for longer than a year. That should have been a clue to me, I suppose. But being the loyal customer (sucker) I was, I went with the overpriced, underwarrantied piece of junk. I used to recommend to all my family and friends to buy Dell. Now, I am telling everyone I can not to buy. It's not worth it. I bought my 2 sons each a laptop this fall... Toshibas... each under $500 and each have been wonderful computers. They do as much, are much lighter to carry, and I don't feel ripped off. My Insp 6000 was over $1500... just think, I could've gotten 3 Toshibas for what I paid. Makes me sick!

+
    0 Votes
    ozi Eagle

Hi,

Two things that I can think of, one is that the connecting link between the screen and the case has worked loose or that there is a problem in a connection to the LCD matrix.
    If the fault can be made to come and go by flexing the screen, the its the LCD matrix.

Either way, unless you are pretty savy with disassembling the laptop, do as others have suggested and take it to a repair shop, not necessarily Dell.

Herb

+
    0 Votes

:)

shady108

this can happen with any laptop at anytime, its not manufacturer specific. Either your lcd cable has come loose (try reseating it in the back of the screen) if not you need replace the lcd :)

+
    0 Votes
    mmuximus

Hi ''Chic Brunette'' I have the same problem I did some research and it must be the video flex cable or the inverter. I'm not sure which of these two is the problem, so if you do have an answer please let me know. thanks

+
    0 Votes
    barto1

I tried to find what was wrong while having the laptop running on the user login screen, while I had the screen removed from cover. I pinched the screen between my finger and tomb around its edge and found at a point just above the power icon at the bottom left corner (about twice the icons own height above it). I found by keeping pressure at this point fixed the problem. I needed a thin clip that would fit on the screen back in the screen cover. I used a 1/4 drive socket rack clip (ratchet and socket) from which I remover the side rack clips leaving the square which the socket would sit on, I then placed this on the screen at the point I need to keep under pressure rectifying what seem to be a bad connection with in the screen its self. I hope this helps.