Questions

Help with Outlook 2003 email - won't send.

+
0 Votes

Help with Outlook 2003 email - won't send.

mbecker908
Bottom line, I can receive POP3 email from my accounts into OL2003, but if I try to reply, forward or start a new message I can't send it. I've been using OL200 for about two years with no problems managing multiple remote email accounts and everything went to **** last week.

I'm running the MS Office 2003 Suite in Windows XP. Last week I was accessing three POP3 accounts with Outlook (NOT OL Express). One was from a remote server from a former employer (which was my default account), one was from a GoDaddy account I own and one was from gmail. I've had all of these accounts running, along with several other remote server email accounts with no problems for as long as I've had OL2003.

I deleted the remote server account with my former employer while it was still my default account, checked the email account list in OL and it had assigned default status to my gmail account which was what I intended to to anyway. I made no other changes. I set up an additional gmail address and it tested fine and downloaded the email then in the account. I attempted to Reply to one of the messages and discovered that there was no Send/Receive button on the toolbar. There was the greyed bar at the top of the email identifying the account that I should be replying from, but no S/R button. I exited the email, saved the reply into the Outbox, and clicked the New button to send a new email and no S/R button and no indication of the account it should be sent from. Since I have the S/R button when I'm reviewing the task panes, I clicked it to see if OL would send the saved email from the Outbox, it would not.

Since then, I've done the following:

1. Deleted all three POP3 accounts from OL and set them up again. They all tested as working accounts but I could not send from any of them.
2. Using my third party uninstaller which removes everything including registry entries, I deleted my MS Office Suite (I backed it up an saved the backup on a remote hard drive). I then ran a registry cleaner (CClean) and AdAware just for the heck of it. I reinstalled MS Office 2003. No change to OL, still can't send.

I'm at wits end. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • +
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

and let us know how you get on.

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nosend.htm

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

List of checks were:

1. An add-in that marks items read if you view the Outbox.
    2. Not authenticating properly with the mail server.
    3. No default email account set.
    4. Using a program that access the pst or ost data, such as MSN Desktop Search.
    5. An antispam or antivirus scanner is scanning outgoing mail.

I've made no changes to the add-ins and I never look in the Outbox.

All accounts are authenticated and working and I have a default account listed.

No programs that access the pst files and no new programs added recently.

I disabled my email anti-virus scanner (AVG) and there is no change.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

error messages. Also try this.

Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. Click on OK.

< add a bit >

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

No change.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

It acts normally, it just won't send.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If those aren't set correctly, you not only can't send, there won't be a send button.

Remember that your ISP may require that you use their SMTP server (and authenticate) because they won't relay. Or, the opposite may be true too.

So, tell us how you have the accounts set up?

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

They are set to: gmail - smtp.gmail.com; GoDaddy - smtpout.secureserver.net. The server port numbers and authentication are set per gmail/GoDaddy specs. All were working, set exactly as they are now, a week ago before all **** broke loose,

My ISP is Cox Communications and I don't have to use their SMTP protocol.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

port 25 has been blocked by your ISP. You may have to use IMAP with SMTP.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

My port set up (per gmail & GoDaddy) are as follows:
    In Out
    gmail 995 465 - encripted SSL
    GoDaddy 110 80 - no encription

Port 25 isn't specd or assigned.

I got "error" on all five (including 25) from CanYouSeeMe.

The magical question would be, assuming this is the problem, what would have caused those ports to be blocked? I didn't request a block and have made no changes - other than deleting one remote POP3 account. I've received no notification from Cox that they've blocked anything and I do not use the email account they provide with my service. It's never been accessed in the six or seven years I've used Cox.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

I get the following: Error:Error: ContentContent notnot foundfound

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

as they have blocked port 25.

http://support.cox.com

< this will have to do >

You cant access the links unless you go through their pages. Look for this under Learning Center. Email

Troubleshooting: Unable to Send Email to an AOL User

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Information: Additional Email Settings Information

Summary

This article explains the Cox policy restricting the use of third-party SMTP servers.
    Also discussed are the requirements for using vanity domains, SMTP Port 25 restrictions, and related Fequently Asked Questions.

Refer to Resources for Setting Up Email Client for links to documentation on email settings and configuring various email clients.

Content

Cox requires all email messages sent from our network to go through Cox outbound (SMTP) servers. Any attempt to send email using a third-party outbound email server will result in an error message in your email software, and the message will not be delivered.

The use of Cox email servers is required to reduce the amount of unsolicited email, or spam, that is sent from our network. Spam is not only a nuisance, but also potentially degrades our email service by consuming network and server resources. Spam also increases the potential for computer virus attacks. Finally, excessive amounts of spam originating from our network can result in other ISPs refusing to receive any email, including legitimate messages, from our network.

You may be connecting to a third party mail server because of one of the following reasons:

Your email software, such as Outlook Express, is configured to use a third party outgoing mail server to send email, with or without your knowledge.
    Your computer may be allowing other users from the Internet to connect to it. These outside users may be using your machine to relay their email. We recommend that you review the security of your PC.
    Your computer is infected with a virus that is attempting to spread itself via email. We recommend that you update your antivirus software and scan your machine for viruses.
    Vanity Domains

Although Cox does not currently host or support vanity domains, some of our customers have acquired them through third parties and want to use them in their email messages. Cox does not prevent the use of vanity domains as either the From or Reply-To address in your email header. However, if you use a vanity domain on your email, it must be a valid domain that can be resolved by the Domain Name System (DNS) servers. Any email sent with invalid domains in the From or Reply-To address fields will not be delivered.

Frequently Asked Questions

Select to view all answers.
    Does this mean that I have to use my @cox.net email address for everything I send?

No. You can use any valid email address, but the email sent from your Cox High Speed Internet connection must be routed through a Cox SMTP server.

What are the correct SMTP server settings to use with the Cox High Speed Internet service?

For more information on setting up your email, go to Resources for Setting Up Email Client.

Why do you require the use of Cox outbound (SMTP) email servers?

It reduces the number of spam and virus emails originating from our customers. Most Internet Service Providers have adopted this practice to reduce spam. We must take this action to ensure that a few bulk emailers do not get the entire cox.net domain blacklisted from sending mail to other Internet Service Providers.

Will this hinder my ability to send email?

This will not impact the majority of customers, but there are bound to be some people using third party mail servers. Any software configured to use an SMTP server other than smtp.region.cox.net to deliver email directly to a recipient's server will no longer work. An indication of this problem may be a message similar to this in your mail client:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: otheraccount.otherisp.com, Server: othersmtp.otherisp.com, Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Customers using third party email services must configure their email clients to use smtp.region.cox.net to send outbound email. Please remember that operating an email or other server on a residential Cox High Speed Internet connection is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.

Will this affect Web-based email services?

No. You can continue to use Cox High Speed Internet WebMail, or services like HotMail and Yahoo mail as you currently do.

Will this affect inbound email at all?

No. This will not affect retrieval of inbound email from any service.

Does this mean that Cox reads my mail?

No. This measure only affects how traffic is routed and does not in any way relate to the substance of email messages. We respect your privacy and do not read any email messages, instant messages, online chats, or the content of other on-line communications that reside on or pass through our service. For more information, go to our Privacy Policy.

I am getting spam even though I have never given out my address. Is Cox selling my information?

We do not sell our customers' email addresses. Sometimes spammers will try lists of common names or words in different combinations to locate an active email address. For more information, go to our Privacy Policy. To learn more about how to reduce spam, go to Adware / Spyware Information.

I am still receiving spam. How do I stop it?

This is just one step in efforts to reduce spam across the Internet. For more information, go to Adware / Spyware Information.

I pay for my own domain name so I can send personal email through that server. Why are you blocking this legitimate use?

We understand that some customers have vanity domain names, and this action should not keep you from using your personal domain name. To ensure your ability to send email from your personal domain, your mail client must be set to a Cox outgoing mail server. This change in settings will be transparent to email recipients, and will not impact your ability to receive email. If you have a business requirement to bypass the Cox mail servers, please contact Cox Business Services for additional options.

What are Cox customers who send mail via Port 25 supposed to do?

Customers must configure their email clients to use smtp.[region].cox.net to send outbound email. Please remember that operating an email or other server on a residential Cox High Speed Internet connection is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.

Do you offer SMTP authentication or POP before Send capabilities so I can continue to use my Cox account while on the road?

We do not currently offer this feature, but you can continue to use Cox WebMail to send and receive emails while away from your Cox High Speed Internet connection.

My settings are correct but I am using a return address other than @cox.net and I receive an error.

As part of our spam prevention procedures, we test the domain name in the From address in each message to be sure that it is valid. If the Domain Name Service does not show that the domain name has a valid mail server, those server connections are rejected. The customer will receive a message in Outlook Express that begins: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was ...

Customers should use their Cox.net email address or any other valid address in the From field.

Applies to

CHSI
    CHSI email system policies
    Network policies
    Email account information
    Use of Cox outbound (SMTP) servers and vanity domains
    Email configuration frequently asked questions

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

[user]@cox.net email account.

I can't - and never could - send mail from any of my POP accounts using the cox smtp.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

Nothing there that relates.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Customers using third party email services must configure their email clients to use smtp.region.cox.net to send outbound email. Please remember that operating an email or other server on a residential Cox High Speed Internet connection is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

it might pay to get in touch with Cox as you are paying for a service.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

I'm not running an "email server", just accessing commercial accounts. Additionally, I've been accessing those accounts - and a bunch of others - for years with no problems.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

it seems to me that your ISP may have made changes and as I have suggested as you are paying them for a service that isn't working get in touch with them to find out why.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Contact the ISP.

Even though one doesn't think you're using the COX SMTP server, you are if you're using any email program at all. It's called relaying and many ISP's are cracking down on it. If you're connected to the internet through them and sending email, they want you to use their server to do it, or you won't be sending. Web based email, of course, isn't affected. But, using Outlook to send email is communicating with the COX SMTP server even if you don't realize it's doing it.

I suspect that what has happened in this case was that the old company email server being set as default was taking care of the relay instead of COX. Now that this account has been deleted, the other two accounts don't have an SMTP server that will allow them to relay through it.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

ThumbsUp2.

+
    0 Votes
    Harry Newton

My Outlook works perfectly in 99% of places -- my home, my office, friends' offices -- but it won't send emails in many wired and WiFi places -- like hotels, rental homes and some public places. There are four solutions:

1. Use webmail to send your messages -- e.g. Gmail.
    2. When you check in, ask for your hotel's ISP for their SMTP address. It will be something like smtp.webservices.net
    3. Carry a MiFi unit with you. Verizon has a good one.
    4. Use the Personal Hotspot on your new smartphone.

That's it. Just note: There's no way that fiddling with your Outlook settings will work.

• +
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

and let us know how you get on.

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nosend.htm

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

List of checks were:

1. An add-in that marks items read if you view the Outbox.
    2. Not authenticating properly with the mail server.
    3. No default email account set.
    4. Using a program that access the pst or ost data, such as MSN Desktop Search.
    5. An antispam or antivirus scanner is scanning outgoing mail.

I've made no changes to the add-ins and I never look in the Outbox.

All accounts are authenticated and working and I have a default account listed.

No programs that access the pst files and no new programs added recently.

I disabled my email anti-virus scanner (AVG) and there is no change.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

error messages. Also try this.

Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. Click on OK.

< add a bit >

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

No change.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

It acts normally, it just won't send.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If those aren't set correctly, you not only can't send, there won't be a send button.

Remember that your ISP may require that you use their SMTP server (and authenticate) because they won't relay. Or, the opposite may be true too.

So, tell us how you have the accounts set up?

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

They are set to: gmail - smtp.gmail.com; GoDaddy - smtpout.secureserver.net. The server port numbers and authentication are set per gmail/GoDaddy specs. All were working, set exactly as they are now, a week ago before all **** broke loose,

My ISP is Cox Communications and I don't have to use their SMTP protocol.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

port 25 has been blocked by your ISP. You may have to use IMAP with SMTP.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

My port set up (per gmail & GoDaddy) are as follows:
    In Out
    gmail 995 465 - encripted SSL
    GoDaddy 110 80 - no encription

Port 25 isn't specd or assigned.

I got "error" on all five (including 25) from CanYouSeeMe.

The magical question would be, assuming this is the problem, what would have caused those ports to be blocked? I didn't request a block and have made no changes - other than deleting one remote POP3 account. I've received no notification from Cox that they've blocked anything and I do not use the email account they provide with my service. It's never been accessed in the six or seven years I've used Cox.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

I get the following: Error:Error: ContentContent notnot foundfound

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

as they have blocked port 25.

http://support.cox.com

< this will have to do >

You cant access the links unless you go through their pages. Look for this under Learning Center. Email

Troubleshooting: Unable to Send Email to an AOL User

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Information: Additional Email Settings Information

Summary

This article explains the Cox policy restricting the use of third-party SMTP servers.
    Also discussed are the requirements for using vanity domains, SMTP Port 25 restrictions, and related Fequently Asked Questions.

Refer to Resources for Setting Up Email Client for links to documentation on email settings and configuring various email clients.

Content

Cox requires all email messages sent from our network to go through Cox outbound (SMTP) servers. Any attempt to send email using a third-party outbound email server will result in an error message in your email software, and the message will not be delivered.

The use of Cox email servers is required to reduce the amount of unsolicited email, or spam, that is sent from our network. Spam is not only a nuisance, but also potentially degrades our email service by consuming network and server resources. Spam also increases the potential for computer virus attacks. Finally, excessive amounts of spam originating from our network can result in other ISPs refusing to receive any email, including legitimate messages, from our network.

You may be connecting to a third party mail server because of one of the following reasons:

Your email software, such as Outlook Express, is configured to use a third party outgoing mail server to send email, with or without your knowledge.
    Your computer may be allowing other users from the Internet to connect to it. These outside users may be using your machine to relay their email. We recommend that you review the security of your PC.
    Your computer is infected with a virus that is attempting to spread itself via email. We recommend that you update your antivirus software and scan your machine for viruses.
    Vanity Domains

Although Cox does not currently host or support vanity domains, some of our customers have acquired them through third parties and want to use them in their email messages. Cox does not prevent the use of vanity domains as either the From or Reply-To address in your email header. However, if you use a vanity domain on your email, it must be a valid domain that can be resolved by the Domain Name System (DNS) servers. Any email sent with invalid domains in the From or Reply-To address fields will not be delivered.

Frequently Asked Questions

Select to view all answers.
    Does this mean that I have to use my @cox.net email address for everything I send?

No. You can use any valid email address, but the email sent from your Cox High Speed Internet connection must be routed through a Cox SMTP server.

What are the correct SMTP server settings to use with the Cox High Speed Internet service?

For more information on setting up your email, go to Resources for Setting Up Email Client.

Why do you require the use of Cox outbound (SMTP) email servers?

It reduces the number of spam and virus emails originating from our customers. Most Internet Service Providers have adopted this practice to reduce spam. We must take this action to ensure that a few bulk emailers do not get the entire cox.net domain blacklisted from sending mail to other Internet Service Providers.

Will this hinder my ability to send email?

This will not impact the majority of customers, but there are bound to be some people using third party mail servers. Any software configured to use an SMTP server other than smtp.region.cox.net to deliver email directly to a recipient's server will no longer work. An indication of this problem may be a message similar to this in your mail client:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: otheraccount.otherisp.com, Server: othersmtp.otherisp.com, Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Will this affect Web-based email services?

No. You can continue to use Cox High Speed Internet WebMail, or services like HotMail and Yahoo mail as you currently do.

Will this affect inbound email at all?

No. This will not affect retrieval of inbound email from any service.

Does this mean that Cox reads my mail?

No. This measure only affects how traffic is routed and does not in any way relate to the substance of email messages. We respect your privacy and do not read any email messages, instant messages, online chats, or the content of other on-line communications that reside on or pass through our service. For more information, go to our Privacy Policy.

I am getting spam even though I have never given out my address. Is Cox selling my information?

We do not sell our customers' email addresses. Sometimes spammers will try lists of common names or words in different combinations to locate an active email address. For more information, go to our Privacy Policy. To learn more about how to reduce spam, go to Adware / Spyware Information.

I am still receiving spam. How do I stop it?

This is just one step in efforts to reduce spam across the Internet. For more information, go to Adware / Spyware Information.

I pay for my own domain name so I can send personal email through that server. Why are you blocking this legitimate use?

We understand that some customers have vanity domain names, and this action should not keep you from using your personal domain name. To ensure your ability to send email from your personal domain, your mail client must be set to a Cox outgoing mail server. This change in settings will be transparent to email recipients, and will not impact your ability to receive email. If you have a business requirement to bypass the Cox mail servers, please contact Cox Business Services for additional options.

What are Cox customers who send mail via Port 25 supposed to do?

Customers must configure their email clients to use smtp.[region].cox.net to send outbound email. Please remember that operating an email or other server on a residential Cox High Speed Internet connection is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.

Do you offer SMTP authentication or POP before Send capabilities so I can continue to use my Cox account while on the road?

We do not currently offer this feature, but you can continue to use Cox WebMail to send and receive emails while away from your Cox High Speed Internet connection.

My settings are correct but I am using a return address other than @cox.net and I receive an error.

As part of our spam prevention procedures, we test the domain name in the From address in each message to be sure that it is valid. If the Domain Name Service does not show that the domain name has a valid mail server, those server connections are rejected. The customer will receive a message in Outlook Express that begins: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was ...

Customers should use their Cox.net email address or any other valid address in the From field.

Applies to

CHSI
    CHSI email system policies
    Network policies
    Email account information
    Use of Cox outbound (SMTP) servers and vanity domains
    Email configuration frequently asked questions

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

[user]@cox.net email account.

I can't - and never could - send mail from any of my POP accounts using the cox smtp.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

Nothing there that relates.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

it might pay to get in touch with Cox as you are paying for a service.

+
    0 Votes
    mbecker908

I'm not running an "email server", just accessing commercial accounts. Additionally, I've been accessing those accounts - and a bunch of others - for years with no problems.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

it seems to me that your ISP may have made changes and as I have suggested as you are paying them for a service that isn't working get in touch with them to find out why.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Contact the ISP.

Even though one doesn't think you're using the COX SMTP server, you are if you're using any email program at all. It's called relaying and many ISP's are cracking down on it. If you're connected to the internet through them and sending email, they want you to use their server to do it, or you won't be sending. Web based email, of course, isn't affected. But, using Outlook to send email is communicating with the COX SMTP server even if you don't realize it's doing it.

I suspect that what has happened in this case was that the old company email server being set as default was taking care of the relay instead of COX. Now that this account has been deleted, the other two accounts don't have an SMTP server that will allow them to relay through it.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

ThumbsUp2.

+
    0 Votes
    Harry Newton

My Outlook works perfectly in 99% of places -- my home, my office, friends' offices -- but it won't send emails in many wired and WiFi places -- like hotels, rental homes and some public places. There are four solutions:

1. Use webmail to send your messages -- e.g. Gmail.
    2. When you check in, ask for your hotel's ISP for their SMTP address. It will be something like smtp.webservices.net
    3. Carry a MiFi unit with you. Verizon has a good one.
    4. Use the Personal Hotspot on your new smartphone.

That's it. Just note: There's no way that fiddling with your Outlook settings will work.