Questions

Answer for:

Home AD DS/DHCP/DNS server

Message 9 of 11

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
gechurch

First of all I need to apologise for being misleading in my first response. I glossed over your question and focused on the DHCP bit, and missed the fact that you also want your server to handle DNS. That changes things just a little.

Modem: Provided 192.168.100.1 is set as a static address, your modem setup is fine. With this set, you'll now need to make sure that all other computers on the network are in the same subnet as this (meaning they will all need an IP address starting with 192.168.100). If they're not in the same subnet they won't be able to talk to the modem.

Server: It's best practice to give server's a static IP address, and it sounds like that's what you are trying to achieve. You can't use 192.168.100.1 because that is already in use by the modem. You also can't use 192.168.0.1 because it is on a different subnet. Lets go with 192.168.100.2. You've got the default gateway right (default gateway = modem). Your DNS servers (8.8.8.8 etc) would be correct if you wanted to use public DNS (which I assumed in my first post). Since you want the server to also handle DNS though, that's what you need to enter here. Type in 192.168.100.2 as the preferred DNS server, and leave the alternate one blank. At this point your server should be able to connect to the Internet.

Next we need to configure the DHCP server so that it will hand out correct details to other computers on the network. What we are trying to achieve is to have the server hand out all of the above settings to each client, but with a unique IP address in the 192.168.100 range. To do this load the DHCP snapin and...
* Create a new scope of 192.168.100.0 (a scope is the IP range you want the DHCP server to hand out)
* Have an address pool of 192.168.100.3 to 192.168.100.254 (an address pool is the list of addresses that will be dished out.
* Set the scope options (which are settings other than the IP address that will be handed out). Set:
* Router -> 192.168.100.1 (ie. the router is the default gateway)
* DNS Servers -> Set 192.168.100.2 only

That's it! If you plug in a PC on the network now your DHCP server will dish it out an IP, the default gateway and a DNS server.

If you haven't configured the DNS server already the only thing you'll have to do is tell it what to do for addresses that it can't find. The easiest thing to do is set a forwarder - a DNS server for it to hand the task off to. Just add 8.8.8.8 as the forwarder and DNS should work fine.