Questions

How can I fix "The shadow copy provider had an error (0x80042306)"?

+
0 Votes

How can I fix "The shadow copy provider had an error (0x80042306)"?

Nuesha
When trying to create a restore point I get a System Protection message where it states that the restore point could not be created. Reason: "The shadow copy provider had an error.Check the system and application event logs for more information. (0x80042306)

I get this quite often after it sometimes dissapeared by itself I think and I think once I fixed it in some way without realizing how I did to fix it. Is there a way to fix this "forever"?

I have a solid state disk drive [SSD], Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits and PerfecDisk 12.5 installed. PDisk settings are so that it never touch the SSD.
  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

One common problem is if you recently cloned a disk, then the disk-id is wrong for the shadow-copy service.

Look in your event log and look in Services to see of the shadow-copy service is running or has crashed and needs to be restarted.

In general, it seems that the shadow-copy service is very fragile, and LOTS of utilities make it stop working (e.g. disk cloning, backup utilites, etc)

The VSSADMIN utility can help to show what's wrong.

For starters, at the command prompt type:

vssadmin list providers

This shows you if you have third-party vss providers

+
    0 Votes
    Nuesha

Thanks. Yes, I used vssadmin list providers and cmd shows only one provider, "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0". I know I did fix this issue before but I do not know or do not remember how I did it. Please, if you know of some quality site that explains or handles these type of issues can you point me to it? I have Perfectcache software, maybe it is that. I will check that now.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Look at any hidden devices in control panel, especially hidden volumes, this is where Windows can get confused.

Here is one article:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342534,00.asp

• +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

One common problem is if you recently cloned a disk, then the disk-id is wrong for the shadow-copy service.

Look in your event log and look in Services to see of the shadow-copy service is running or has crashed and needs to be restarted.

In general, it seems that the shadow-copy service is very fragile, and LOTS of utilities make it stop working (e.g. disk cloning, backup utilites, etc)

The VSSADMIN utility can help to show what's wrong.

For starters, at the command prompt type:

vssadmin list providers

This shows you if you have third-party vss providers

+
    0 Votes
    Nuesha

Thanks. Yes, I used vssadmin list providers and cmd shows only one provider, "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0". I know I did fix this issue before but I do not know or do not remember how I did it. Please, if you know of some quality site that explains or handles these type of issues can you point me to it? I have Perfectcache software, maybe it is that. I will check that now.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Look at any hidden devices in control panel, especially hidden volumes, this is where Windows can get confused.

Here is one article:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342534,00.asp