Questions

How can I get Win 2000 & XP software to run on Win7?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

How can I get Win 2000 & XP software to run on Win7?

jlm2007
We have a number of pc's running Windows 2000 and XP.

We want to replace them with new equipment but don't know how to get the old software to run on the new gear which has Windows 7 preinstalled. Any ideas?
  • +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

It should 9 times out of 10, work, if not, right click the EXE file, choose troubleshoot compatibility. This will often solve the problem. Tell it it ran on earlier versions of Windows. Tell it it requires admin rights to run. I have been doing that on our deployment systems to get our old Win3.1 software to work. Some old Win98 and 98 software as well. So far, only minor problems with OCX references.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

What software are you specifically addressing here?

Are you saying that you KNOW it won't run on W7?

What hardware are you running W7 on? Does it have virtualization capability?

• +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

It should 9 times out of 10, work, if not, right click the EXE file, choose troubleshoot compatibility. This will often solve the problem. Tell it it ran on earlier versions of Windows. Tell it it requires admin rights to run. I have been doing that on our deployment systems to get our old Win3.1 software to work. Some old Win98 and 98 software as well. So far, only minor problems with OCX references.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

What software are you specifically addressing here?

Are you saying that you KNOW it won't run on W7?

What hardware are you running W7 on? Does it have virtualization capability?