Questions

How do I do a complete system restore on my dell latitude D520?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

How do I do a complete system restore on my dell latitude D520?

ryanoc22
I would like to do a complete system restore. I really don't know how to and have tried searching.
I want a fresh computer with only the basics on it, none of the old docs, folders etc.

I have the following CDs.

Office pro edition 2003

Microsoft Office Pro edition service Pack 2

a CD for reinstalling dell latitude computer software

reinstallation CD for Microsoft windows XP Professional Service pack 2.

re installing PowerDVD

Windows 2000 Professional (includes service pack 2)

norton systemworks.

I was wondering how to start doing the system restore, the restore I found on my comp was only for a few days back. I want to restore my comp so that its "like new".
  • +
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

You need to boot off the Windows XP PRo SP2 CD.
    Select the existing C: partition, delete it, create a new C: partition and then install XP Pro on that. That will give a 'clean' disk.

Then you can install Office, Power DVD and SystemWorks.

+
    0 Votes
    trebyal

before you go through with the tedious running of cd's on your Dell portable unit you might want to try pressing CTRL+F11 as soon as you turn on your computer it may contain a special recovery partition that would reinstall everything back to factory settings...

If this does not work do the following steps.

turn on the unit and insert the Dell Recovery CD may also contain the marking Windows XP PRO/Home/MCE already preinstalled in your system

turn the computer back off after inserting the disc.

turn on the computer then press F12 to go the one time boot menu

select DVD/CD ROM Drive then press enter

you would see a black screen that may say booting from disk after which would be followed by something that saids press any key to boot from CD (it may stay on this screen for five seconds so immediately press any key) windows would then load the files needed for set up.

Just press enter to install windows, then F8 to agree on the license agreement then hit enter again since the default drive would be c:

format the drive using NTFS (quick)

then it would automatically start copying files then it would also restart after doing so.

it will then reboot on a graphical user interface where in you will be ask for certain information such as time zone settings etc. just go on with those settings.

after the complteing the installation it would ask you for some personal settings

once done it would boot to windows without any drivers installed.

load the applications and drivers resoucre CD. it will install an application to determine what type of system you have.

click on drivers after the application launches, it would show you the list of drivers with checkmarks needed to be installed for your unit

install the chipset driver first the restart the computer

reinsert the disc to restart the application then go for the video card restart again

then using the same process above install the other drivers in which ever sequence you like.

after this you could install all the other programs like MS Office etc

for more info go to support.dell.com
    enter your service tag and search for OS reinstall.

if the cd's does not work you could order the cd's at support.dell.com/xpscd

hope this help...

+
    0 Votes
    pacerswon731

After completing those steps, I got a clean window, but it is missing many things. When I tried to turn off the computer, the standby button is gray and won't work, and also I try to find out my ip adress through cmd, but it won't work. How can I fix the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

For standby your PC must be APM enabled or ACPI compatible. See Power Options control panel. Also check settings in BIOS for Power Management.

For networking, normally you type IPCONFIG to display IP address. For it to work:
    1. Network card drivers installed
    2. TCPIP set to DHCP to get IP from a router or modem. Or set it to a static address that matches router/modem.

• +
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

You need to boot off the Windows XP PRo SP2 CD.
    Select the existing C: partition, delete it, create a new C: partition and then install XP Pro on that. That will give a 'clean' disk.

Then you can install Office, Power DVD and SystemWorks.

+
    0 Votes
    trebyal

before you go through with the tedious running of cd's on your Dell portable unit you might want to try pressing CTRL+F11 as soon as you turn on your computer it may contain a special recovery partition that would reinstall everything back to factory settings...

If this does not work do the following steps.

turn on the unit and insert the Dell Recovery CD may also contain the marking Windows XP PRO/Home/MCE already preinstalled in your system

turn the computer back off after inserting the disc.

turn on the computer then press F12 to go the one time boot menu

select DVD/CD ROM Drive then press enter

you would see a black screen that may say booting from disk after which would be followed by something that saids press any key to boot from CD (it may stay on this screen for five seconds so immediately press any key) windows would then load the files needed for set up.

Just press enter to install windows, then F8 to agree on the license agreement then hit enter again since the default drive would be c:

format the drive using NTFS (quick)

then it would automatically start copying files then it would also restart after doing so.

it will then reboot on a graphical user interface where in you will be ask for certain information such as time zone settings etc. just go on with those settings.

after the complteing the installation it would ask you for some personal settings

once done it would boot to windows without any drivers installed.

load the applications and drivers resoucre CD. it will install an application to determine what type of system you have.

click on drivers after the application launches, it would show you the list of drivers with checkmarks needed to be installed for your unit

install the chipset driver first the restart the computer

reinsert the disc to restart the application then go for the video card restart again

then using the same process above install the other drivers in which ever sequence you like.

after this you could install all the other programs like MS Office etc

for more info go to support.dell.com
    enter your service tag and search for OS reinstall.

if the cd's does not work you could order the cd's at support.dell.com/xpscd

hope this help...

+
    0 Votes
    pacerswon731

After completing those steps, I got a clean window, but it is missing many things. When I tried to turn off the computer, the standby button is gray and won't work, and also I try to find out my ip adress through cmd, but it won't work. How can I fix the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    p.j.hutchison

For standby your PC must be APM enabled or ACPI compatible. See Power Options control panel. Also check settings in BIOS for Power Management.

For networking, normally you type IPCONFIG to display IP address. For it to work:
    1. Network card drivers installed
    2. TCPIP set to DHCP to get IP from a router or modem. Or set it to a static address that matches router/modem.