Questions

How do I find the product key for a CD of Microsoft Office 2003?

+
0 Votes

How do I find the product key for a CD of Microsoft Office 2003?

waikikidoc
I have a backup CD of Microsoft Office 2003 which I think I can use to override the trial copy that expired and is installed on my computer. But I don't have the original envelope. Is there a program I can use to find the product key of a CD if I ONLY have the CD and not the cover? All the programs I can find like ProduKey only can scan what's already on the computer, but not a CD/DVD in the CD drive...
  • +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

The product key is NOT stored on the installation CD.

The installer program uses an algorithm to compare the product key to a key root and verify that the key is valid for that particular run of installation disks.

Your only real option for a key is to go back to the source of the disk you have. If you can prove that you purchased the copy of Office, they should be able to provide you with a new key.

For an OEM copy, you need to go back to the system manufacture.

For a retail copy, you should be able to get a replacement key from Microsoft.

Or, forget about Microsoft Office and switch to Open Office. www.openoffice.org

Open Office does pretty much everything that Office does and it's free.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    srumfelt

I lost the case to my MS office 2003 and can't install it back on my pc. Need to read the product key off the original disc, I reinstall my pc to factory settings. Let me know if you do. I will let you know if I find out anything. Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

The answer is directly above your post.

• +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

The product key is NOT stored on the installation CD.

The installer program uses an algorithm to compare the product key to a key root and verify that the key is valid for that particular run of installation disks.

Your only real option for a key is to go back to the source of the disk you have. If you can prove that you purchased the copy of Office, they should be able to provide you with a new key.

For an OEM copy, you need to go back to the system manufacture.

For a retail copy, you should be able to get a replacement key from Microsoft.

Or, forget about Microsoft Office and switch to Open Office. www.openoffice.org

Open Office does pretty much everything that Office does and it's free.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    srumfelt

I lost the case to my MS office 2003 and can't install it back on my pc. Need to read the product key off the original disc, I reinstall my pc to factory settings. Let me know if you do. I will let you know if I find out anything. Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

The answer is directly above your post.