Questions

How do you reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer on Server 2003 R2?

+
0 Votes

How do you reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer on Server 2003 R2?

Clarity_IT
I am having problems getting the MS XPS Document Writer (printer) to install on Server 2003 R2 (32 bit). I need the XPS printer in order to work correctly with QuickBooks 2011.

I have talked with QB tech support and they are saying that I need to talk to Microsoft in order to fix the issue.
Here are things that I have tried...

1. Installed the XPS Essentials Pack.

2. Repaired the MSXML 6 SP2 (KB973686)

3. Installed MSXML6.0 SDK

4. Ran sfc /scannow

It seems that the XPS Essentials pack installs correctly to the point where I can save a XPS file and use the XPS viewer to view that file, but I can not get the XPS printer to install correctly.

When i try to install the XPS printer I get this error...

The specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems.

I am installing the driver from C:\windows\system32\spool\xpsep.

Anyone have any thoughts or possible fixes for this?
+
0 Votes
markp24

Hi
(did you confirm .net 3.0 is installed)

try going to Printers in control panel and select Add a Printer.

Select Local Printer.

Under the existing Port pulldown menu, select XPS Port

Select next

The select Microsoft, under manufacturer

The select Microsoft XPS Document writer. Next...

That should do it

if not try
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145058(v=vs.85).aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/print-share-and-protect-files-in-the-pdf-and-xps-file-formats-HA010167527.aspx

you may need to get it from the MS office 2003 cd

+
0 Votes
Clarity_IT

I have .net 3.0, 3.5 and 4 installed on the server.
I have tried to manually add the printer with the steps you have above but that is where I get the error message listed in my original post. I had also tried both of the links that you have and that didn't solve the problem. I installed Office 2007 on the sever in hopes it would put the XPS printer/driver on, but had no luck with that.

+
0 Votes
tmdaviss

I have a customer who also has this problem. It is QuickBooks 2012 and the returning Accountants Copy apparently was created on a PC that had this installed, while the server doesn't.

Did you find a solution to this issue?