Questions

Answer for:

How does a web page consume resources?

Message 9 of 24

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Deadly Ernest

A lot will depend on what the data is and how your system is set up. For example, you can set the system not to run certain types of scripts or open certain types of files the scripts and files may well be downloaded but not run; while in some other cases they may not get downloaded at all.

I use Fire Fox with AdBlock Plus, I have a lot of filters set in it to refuse the download or access to certain sites and certain types of scripts, I also have it set not to allow third part cookies. Thus when a script calls for a cookie or download from a third part, say Google Analytics, it's blocked and not downloaded. However, if they have that same code installed locally and call it from the same server as the website it's not blocked and it will run.

In the same vein when I go to a website that has a Flash file locally loaded and called it gets downloaded but isn't allowed to run until I say to let it, but if it's called from another site (as happens in a mashup) it doesn't get downloaded at all as my system blocks those types of calls by default - I have to make a special entry to allow that to happen with the few sites I trust to operate that way.

In short, what you get hit with will depend on how the page is written and how your browser is set up. I prefer to use Fire Fox as I know I can set it's security up to be very exact and how I want it. My son uses both Fire Fox and Chrome, and he says Chrome uses less resources but he has had some issues in blocking some of the other Google stuff in Chrome, especially the GoogleAds.