Questions

how to add DNS entry on windows 2008?

Tags:
+
1 Votes

how to add DNS entry on windows 2008?

hdave90
I have two windows 2008 servers of which one is having dhcp service and both are syncronised for the DNS which is configured as forwarders. Our Active directory name is abc.com and abc.local which is used for all local internal communication. We have our emails flowing from the abc.com to our exchange box. We have our website hosted outside on a different hosting servers out on the net which is www.abc.com. on my DHCP scope i have both the dns servers as primary and secondary local ip servers and the default gateway to be 10.0.0.1 which is the firewall. I can browse any other sites but not www.abc.com at all if i am on the public internet hotspots not within my network at all on the laptop i am able to browse it. Our ISP have configured the DNS correctly but this problem seems to be internal DNS problem kindly assist in configuring this.

Regards

Hitesh Dave
  • +
    2 Votes
    IcebergTitanic

The problem is that your DNS servers consider themselves to be authoritative for the abc.com domain. You need to create an A record for www pointing to the outside IP address, otherwise your computers don't know how to reach it because the DNS servers don't bother asking upstream, since they are the commanders of the abc.com domain.

Just open up DNS, right click on your domain name, add an A record for www with the external IP. That should fix it.

+
    0 Votes
    hdave90

Thanks iceberg it worked.
    :-)

• +
    2 Votes
    IcebergTitanic

The problem is that your DNS servers consider themselves to be authoritative for the abc.com domain. You need to create an A record for www pointing to the outside IP address, otherwise your computers don't know how to reach it because the DNS servers don't bother asking upstream, since they are the commanders of the abc.com domain.

Just open up DNS, right click on your domain name, add an A record for www with the external IP. That should fix it.

+
    0 Votes
    hdave90

Thanks iceberg it worked.
    :-)