Questions

How to fix Lite-On Laptop SDW-431S problem?

Tags:
+
1 Votes

How to fix Lite-On Laptop SDW-431S problem?

lendivin
My Lite-On Laptop SDW-431S stopped recognizing ANY discs but installation ones. Any suggestions?
  • +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

Your NB has stopped reading any Optical Disc's placed in it except ones used to install Programs.

Is that correct?

Have you tried a Manufactured Music Disc?

If it will only read Manufactured Disc's and no Recorded ones and can not record Disc's successfully the most likely cause of this is that a Disc or Disc's are left in the drive when they are not required and this has caused the LED's that generate the Laser Beams to loose Intensity. The only fix for this is to replace the Optical Drive. If you need a Disc in the drive for long periods of time you should install a Virtual Drive and load your required Disc's tot he Virtual Drive so you do not need a Actual Disc in the drive. If you do this it will also improve the response of the computer when it reads from the Virtual Drive instead of the Actual Drive. You can expect speed improvements of up to 100 Times.

Generally speaking you can fit a suitable Slim Line DVD Drive of the right type so you'll need to look see if it is a IDE or SATA Type drive and then source a suitable replacement.

The Mounting Plates and Screws are removed from the old drive and fitted to the new drive and then it's just a matter of sliding the new drive into place and doing up the single Securing Bolt but this depends on who made the NB you'll have to look at it's Service Manual to see how to remove the Optical Drive.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Wow! That's a real hi-tech engineering advice, just a pleasure to read!

My AVERATEC laptop wouldn't read any manufactured discs (including music or film) but SW installation ones.

It is easy to remove the Optical Drive, however, I doubt that It is possible find any other device fitting the Lite-On Laptop SDW-431S Slimtype place. I've found out that there are many users having problems with this OD, but found no replacement.

Thanks a bunch anyway!
    Len

+
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

To NB systems. Some require the front plate of the Optical Drive to be switched which I have done numerous times in the past.

This all depends on who actually made the NB Chassis. Remember that the Badge on the NB doesn't mean that the Name on the badge made the NB just that it was badged that way by it's maker. Many NB's chassis come with a Drawer Cover as well as the rest of the Bare Bones NB Chassis where you chose which CPU, the Amount of RAM and the Size of HDD as well as Optical Drive type that you fit to make a complete NB.

When the Chassis comes with a Optical Drawer Cover you need to change the External as well as Internal bits when you change the Optical Drive.

Basically if the Optical Drive Drawer has a curve on it you need to replace the Drawer Cover where as if it is Flat you can use the one that comes with the Optical Drive.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Thanks Col,
    I've just purchased a refurbished drive from e-bay. What do you think of USB laptop drive from Taiwan offered on e-bay? They are dirt cheap except of S&H.
    Len

+
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

Are returned under Warranty and replaced tot he Original Owner. In many cases the Maker then refurbish them and sells them on without any Warranty.

I have bought several Seagate SCSI Drives like that because they are Dirt Cheap but they are all noisy. OK for me to use for myself but not something I could stick in a Customers machine.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Well, since I am my own customer...

Len

• +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

Your NB has stopped reading any Optical Disc's placed in it except ones used to install Programs.

Is that correct?

Have you tried a Manufactured Music Disc?

If it will only read Manufactured Disc's and no Recorded ones and can not record Disc's successfully the most likely cause of this is that a Disc or Disc's are left in the drive when they are not required and this has caused the LED's that generate the Laser Beams to loose Intensity. The only fix for this is to replace the Optical Drive. If you need a Disc in the drive for long periods of time you should install a Virtual Drive and load your required Disc's tot he Virtual Drive so you do not need a Actual Disc in the drive. If you do this it will also improve the response of the computer when it reads from the Virtual Drive instead of the Actual Drive. You can expect speed improvements of up to 100 Times.

Generally speaking you can fit a suitable Slim Line DVD Drive of the right type so you'll need to look see if it is a IDE or SATA Type drive and then source a suitable replacement.

The Mounting Plates and Screws are removed from the old drive and fitted to the new drive and then it's just a matter of sliding the new drive into place and doing up the single Securing Bolt but this depends on who made the NB you'll have to look at it's Service Manual to see how to remove the Optical Drive.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Wow! That's a real hi-tech engineering advice, just a pleasure to read!

My AVERATEC laptop wouldn't read any manufactured discs (including music or film) but SW installation ones.

It is easy to remove the Optical Drive, however, I doubt that It is possible find any other device fitting the Lite-On Laptop SDW-431S Slimtype place. I've found out that there are many users having problems with this OD, but found no replacement.

Thanks a bunch anyway!
    Len

+
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

To NB systems. Some require the front plate of the Optical Drive to be switched which I have done numerous times in the past.

This all depends on who actually made the NB Chassis. Remember that the Badge on the NB doesn't mean that the Name on the badge made the NB just that it was badged that way by it's maker. Many NB's chassis come with a Drawer Cover as well as the rest of the Bare Bones NB Chassis where you chose which CPU, the Amount of RAM and the Size of HDD as well as Optical Drive type that you fit to make a complete NB.

When the Chassis comes with a Optical Drawer Cover you need to change the External as well as Internal bits when you change the Optical Drive.

Basically if the Optical Drive Drawer has a curve on it you need to replace the Drawer Cover where as if it is Flat you can use the one that comes with the Optical Drive.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Thanks Col,
    I've just purchased a refurbished drive from e-bay. What do you think of USB laptop drive from Taiwan offered on e-bay? They are dirt cheap except of S&H.
    Len

+
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

Are returned under Warranty and replaced tot he Original Owner. In many cases the Maker then refurbish them and sells them on without any Warranty.

I have bought several Seagate SCSI Drives like that because they are Dirt Cheap but they are all noisy. OK for me to use for myself but not something I could stick in a Customers machine.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    lendivin

Well, since I am my own customer...

Len