Questions

How to set up 2003 domain within a peer-to-peer network?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

How to set up 2003 domain within a peer-to-peer network?

Healer
I have a peer-to-peer network that is connected to a router with DHCP and Internet. I want to set up a 2003 server with domain and exchange on the same network for testing. Is it possible? The 2003 server has a network card connected to the router. I have the server set to a fixed IP address. I did it before with 2 network cards on the server, one connected to the router and the other connected other client machines. Is it the only way? At present, I have only one network card on the server, I got error when I ran dcdiag. I removed the DHCP on the server I still got the error "The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine ..."
  • +
    1 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

First you want to turn off DHCP and DNS on the router. Then use the wizards to add the AD DC, DHCP and DNS roles to your server.

Like in this here handy guide:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/configure-windows-server-2003-as-a-domain-controller/

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks for the response!

There is no option in my Netgear router to turn off the DNS. I have turned off the DHCP though. By the way what are the pros and cons of having DHCP or DNS on the router instead of on the DC?

+
    1 Votes
    seanferd

You will be managing your network from the DC. Why have anything else interfering with that?

Don't mind the (WAN) DNS, systems behinf the router sending DNS queries take precedence over the forwarders in the router anyway. (Unless 53 tcp/udp passthrough is blocked). Just don't let the router hand out a DNS address via LAN DHCP.

Example con: Power fluctuation and router acts up, gets reset to factory condition. Or gets replaced. If no one remember to manually configure anything, the IP of you DNS server will not be given through the magic of DHCP, and eveyone will eventually have problems reaching LAN resources.

It's just easier to control you network config mostly from one point, unless it becomes more logical to let another device handle something - say, if you start using a proxy server or various network security appliances.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks Guys!

• +
    1 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

First you want to turn off DHCP and DNS on the router. Then use the wizards to add the AD DC, DHCP and DNS roles to your server.

Like in this here handy guide:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/configure-windows-server-2003-as-a-domain-controller/

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks for the response!

There is no option in my Netgear router to turn off the DNS. I have turned off the DHCP though. By the way what are the pros and cons of having DHCP or DNS on the router instead of on the DC?

+
    1 Votes
    seanferd

You will be managing your network from the DC. Why have anything else interfering with that?

Don't mind the (WAN) DNS, systems behinf the router sending DNS queries take precedence over the forwarders in the router anyway. (Unless 53 tcp/udp passthrough is blocked). Just don't let the router hand out a DNS address via LAN DHCP.

Example con: Power fluctuation and router acts up, gets reset to factory condition. Or gets replaced. If no one remember to manually configure anything, the IP of you DNS server will not be given through the magic of DHCP, and eveyone will eventually have problems reaching LAN resources.

It's just easier to control you network config mostly from one point, unless it becomes more logical to let another device handle something - say, if you start using a proxy server or various network security appliances.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks Guys!