Questions

Answer for:

How was someone else able to control a library computer?

Message 61 of 61

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
birchswinger

Slayer, I just saw your Q. The only thing I know is who STARTED the harassment. He'd been doing creepy, scary things for years all on his own (as far as I know) before anyone else signed on to join him, and God only knows how something like that can happen. One would think it would be a serious challenge finding just one sicko kindred spirit to participate in something like this, let alone a bunch? Seems like it would be, but constantly telling myself that this couldn't be happening didn't make it so, because it was happening. (And pedophiles manage to find one another, so ...? Some people are gross; I'll leave it there.) And Slayer, no, the guy never got caught. I believe he's currently working as a "consultant" for a major internet service provider.

As to why I've written about this now: I learned the term "rootkit" from a kindly tech guy who I'd spoken with about the problem, and I did share what I'd been told about them (as well as the details of my library experiences) with the head librarian, but I don't know that any action was taken. Had I been able to print out that professional journal article on the subject that was written expressly for librarians perhaps it might have helped my case. I suspect that the librarian's take on me at the time was that on the one hand I seemed sane, but on the other hand I was describing something that seemed SUPER unlikely, and I'm guessing she wasn't hearing about this problem from anyone else. (I'd gone to the library, by the way, because my computer at home had been similarly compromised.) Had she been better informed she would have helped me, I think.This happened in 2006, yet in 2013 there still seem to be very few lay people who've even ever heard of a root kit, or other stuff of that ilk, and I think it's essential for everyone to understand that things like this have happened and do happen. Certainly all administrators of computer networks need to be aware of this stuff. I shudder to think of the things that are surely happening to other good people out there, and the way they'll likely be treated if they dare to speak about it or seek help. To be targeted for harassment is really hard, but to be dismissed out of hand as someone who's psychotic (and the idea there, though not admitted, is often that the mentally ill person is by definition not worth actually helping) ----that is devastating ---especially when some people apply this label so contemptuously. Let's face it: If I were deluded because of a brain disease it would not be my fault. Furthermore, the awful reality is that there are some bad people who relish victimizing those who are vulnerable, who will be questioned and dismissed: those with mental illness, people with developmental disabilities, people with poor support systems and lack of income, etc. This stuff happens. In my opinion it would be far better to take all complaints seriously (i.e., actually investigate them) than to not do that and be an unwitting accomplice to an evil scumbag who preys on the vulnerable. Real innocent people are being hurt out in the digital Wild West, and they are being abandoned by others who might help them. At least a couple of people here at TR have called this thread a silly discussion about something that doesn't really merit any attention, but they're mistaken.