Questions

HP LaserJet 4050tn noise

+
0 Votes

HP LaserJet 4050tn noise

jonny
In our office, we have an HP LaserJet 4050tn. When some of our employees try to print, it makes a squeaking noise. I'm guessing this is due to the rollers, but can anyone tell me specificially where I should look and how I should go about getting it fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • +
    0 Votes
    shasca

I would run several self test/configuration Pages while standing at the printer to isolate the sound.
    In most cases replacing a cartridge, or the transfer kit has eliminated the sounds here. But the feed rollers can dry out too.
    Also if the printer has more than one feed try try moving the paper to it to help find the location.
    Time for some detective work on your part.

+
    0 Votes
    jdmercha

Use a can of compressed air to **** out all the dust and dried toner, which can also be a source of noise.

If none of this works you may have to call an authorized HP sesrvice center to get it taken care of. But based ont he age of this model, that might not be worth the cost. I'd put up with the noise or look for a replacement.

+
    0 Votes
    grandhighdruid

While I agree that trying a different cartridge is the first step, if that doesn't work, then try replacing the feed rollers (one in the tray and one in the cavity whre the tray goes-pretty close to the front), though usually when these are old they make a grunting type of sound. If this still doesn't help, then find out if the sound happens when you power cycle the machine. If it does, then it is most likely either the fuser or the delivery assembly. If it doesn't, it is most likely the tray 2 pickup assembly. Actually, after replacing the toner and the rollers, I would recommend taking it to someone who is comfortable taking the printer apart (unless you are). Good luck!! By the way, the two rollers that you replace will look the same (blue). There is another roller in the cavity, but it's white. Those last forever, so don't worry about it.

+
    0 Votes
    ctmoore1998

Clean the path path of the print with either a can of compressed air or a small vacuum cleaner. The squeaky is probably the feed rollers in the back top of the printer where the paper is ejected. If printer is older >3 yrs. I have found that some dry graphite lube carefully applied to the roller assy's help with the squeakness if a good cleaning fails to quiet the noise.

• +
    0 Votes
    shasca

I would run several self test/configuration Pages while standing at the printer to isolate the sound.
    In most cases replacing a cartridge, or the transfer kit has eliminated the sounds here. But the feed rollers can dry out too.
    Also if the printer has more than one feed try try moving the paper to it to help find the location.
    Time for some detective work on your part.

+
    0 Votes
    jdmercha

Use a can of compressed air to **** out all the dust and dried toner, which can also be a source of noise.

If none of this works you may have to call an authorized HP sesrvice center to get it taken care of. But based ont he age of this model, that might not be worth the cost. I'd put up with the noise or look for a replacement.

+
    0 Votes
    grandhighdruid

While I agree that trying a different cartridge is the first step, if that doesn't work, then try replacing the feed rollers (one in the tray and one in the cavity whre the tray goes-pretty close to the front), though usually when these are old they make a grunting type of sound. If this still doesn't help, then find out if the sound happens when you power cycle the machine. If it does, then it is most likely either the fuser or the delivery assembly. If it doesn't, it is most likely the tray 2 pickup assembly. Actually, after replacing the toner and the rollers, I would recommend taking it to someone who is comfortable taking the printer apart (unless you are). Good luck!! By the way, the two rollers that you replace will look the same (blue). There is another roller in the cavity, but it's white. Those last forever, so don't worry about it.

+
    0 Votes
    ctmoore1998

Clean the path path of the print with either a can of compressed air or a small vacuum cleaner. The squeaky is probably the feed rollers in the back top of the printer where the paper is ejected. If printer is older >3 yrs. I have found that some dry graphite lube carefully applied to the roller assy's help with the squeakness if a good cleaning fails to quiet the noise.