Questions

HP Pavilion ZV5000

+
0 Votes

HP Pavilion ZV5000

anubisgodd2006
I am new to this forum, actually this is the first forum I've even tried out. I am about to buy an HP Pavilion ZV5000 Laptop from this guy who does not want it anymore, said he bought a new laptop. The downfall is that he set a password from startup, and forgot the password. I can't even get to the Bios to change it. When I press the power button, this password block automatically pops up. He wants $200 for the system, but I can't get in. Is there any way I can get through the password internally? Any thoughts will help me get closer to the solution. Thanks.
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Forget all about it as this is way too strange and sounds like stolen property.

There is no likelihood of a user forgetting their root Password that allows them access to a system if they actually own it but this is quite common if they found it after it fell off the back of a Truck.

If it's stolen you don't want a record for receiving stolen property as it will prevent you ever working for any Government Department and it's not worth the risk involved.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anubisgodd2006

Thanks for your idea. I thought it sounded kind of weird to forget a password the owner set. Well, I guess back to geeks.com. Thanks again.

+
    0 Votes
    chevyy2

Hi yes theres away of getting it off with some software I have if you let me know i can help

thanks

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

So, you've got software that will defeat a boot-prompt password, have you?

Software that can over-ride a bios-entry password. This I have got to hear!

Do elaborate, please!

+
    0 Votes

Hey

chevyy2

Ya I have software to over ride the password are you the guy that need help with the zx5000 ??

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I'd love for you to explain to me how any software can override a boot password, given that the boot password pops up before the operating system has loaded.

Unless you've got some new kind of software that runs off the motherboard!

+
    0 Votes

Hi

chevyy2

LOL Look I have the software to do what he will need if he emailsme you are not in need for it rite !!?? so helpis not what your looking for and the software is not cheap!!!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Sounds more like a desperate attempt to change the subject!

I'm not asking for the software by name, I'm simply asking how it can possibly work.

I would suggest that the software is indeed not cheap - IT IS NON-EXISTENT!!!

+
    0 Votes

Hey

chevyy2

You know what trust is a good thing and the software is EXISTET SO THERE

Have a good one

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

But I fail to see how in a NB that they would be of any use as the EPROM is soldered onto the M'Board and isn't a replaceable unit.

While the EPROM Readers/Programs are quite expensive you also need one for each type of PROM so that increases the cost but I still fail to see how you can reprogramme a EPROM when it's part of the M'Board.

If you are alluding to any other form of software to change the BIOS it simply doesn't exist as with these passwords there is no possibility to allow the hardware to reach the stage to alter the BIOS so it's impossible to change any Password that has been programed into this level of the system with software.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    thejdawg569_2000

remove the cmos battery, take a little bit to get to it, that is the fastest way. Cmos battery removal will clear the bios, of course if you upgraded your bios you will have to probly have to download it again.

+
    0 Votes
    anubisgodd2006

So, how can this be done? I thought the only way was through hardware if the board supports it. I'm the one about the laptop.

+
    0 Votes
    chevyy2

Edited

Message was edited by: beth.blakely@...

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Beware ye, all who enter here ^^ above!

This is a scam.

If you can't see it, you must be blind!

+
    0 Votes

Wow

tech

This is odd. I normally don't set a password to startup, I just make sure that all of the accounts on the computer are password protected. I know that you can run windows under safe mode to get by that (most of the time), but to bypass bios? That's a new one for me, however, I did read about some software that could bypass it, but I don't see how, since it's a password on startup. I mean you couldn't boot from a CD or Floppy anyway, until after that step, or at least on the computers i been working on.

I dunno.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I downloaded an .iso of one of these so-called "beat all, bypass all" type doobries, burned it to CD, stuck it in my old tower unit and re-booted.

What happened? - Boot password request.

Stuck it in my laptop and re-booted.

I, for one, don't mind boot passwords. What I do mind is the fact that I'm on my third laptop - the previous two having been stolen but I'm pretty sure never used.

I had the MAC address for the last one and apparently it has never been found online.

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

contact HP support to see how to get by the PW. If it is a stolen unit, they can inform you of this as well.
    If it was this guys unit, and he no longer wants it AND does not know the PW, and wants to sell it for $200, it is most likely stolen.

I would say no to the deal.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

Actually the term "**** happens" wasn't thought of because it isn't true. I also happen to be dealing with an HP Pavillion zv5000 in which a disgruntled employee went in and changed the BIOS password on a company owned machine and later claimed he forgot it after he was fired. So now I too am seeking a means to use a backdoor to access and reset the password so this machine can be returned to service in our accounting department here at Harley Davidson. Any RELEVANT help besides the paranoid thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

I would have thought that answer would be obvious! Who in their right mind would want to pay HP $300 for something as simple as resetting a bloody BIOS Password? Hence my request for someone with actual technical know-how to help me with this. So lets not play 20 questions about topics other than what I have asked for. If you know what will work for this issue then great if not please keep your comments and questions to yourself.

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

Or an IT staff for support?

That would seem a bit odd.

Other than that, you get quite defensive very quickly.
    Ok, I will keep from helping in any way if questions are not permitted.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

I seriously doubt you have the technical expertise to help anyways if all you are consumed by are irrelevant questions instead of the technical knowledge to provide help. Here I thought I could actually find serious like minded individuals here but guess that was a mistake.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

There are serious individuals here who ignore Criminals & Criminal Activity.

Unfortunately for you no one here is like you who consorts with criminals.

I just wonder how accurate any of the above that you have posted actually is. None of it by what I have seen previously when dealing with other Professionals.

+
    0 Votes
    jdclyde

A company like HD doesn't keep a maintenance contract on their systems?

A company like HD doesn't hire competent techs that first, would have locked down the systems, and second, would know how to get around this?

refesterlings, it must sure suck to be you if you are the one that is responsible for that system, and your incompetence is left showing like this. Might be following the fired employee to the unemployment line.

Tip, when you walk in with your hat in hand, asking for something for nothing, being a **** will NEVER get you what you need.

+
    0 Votes
    thejdawg569_2000

i tried that if it was a dell no prob. hp said all i can do is send it to them and they can reset the laptop. that was their help.
    I do not have the original purchase receit that they want to do this.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

A credit card payment on the monthly statement is just as good most times.

Just because HP want to make sure that the unit isn't stolen is not a problem surely.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

That would prove ownership beyond any doubt. You'd have used that to prove ownership if you were to apply for a warranty repair!

Odd that you didn't think of it in this case.

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Forget all about it as this is way too strange and sounds like stolen property.

There is no likelihood of a user forgetting their root Password that allows them access to a system if they actually own it but this is quite common if they found it after it fell off the back of a Truck.

If it's stolen you don't want a record for receiving stolen property as it will prevent you ever working for any Government Department and it's not worth the risk involved.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anubisgodd2006

Thanks for your idea. I thought it sounded kind of weird to forget a password the owner set. Well, I guess back to geeks.com. Thanks again.

+
    0 Votes
    chevyy2

Hi yes theres away of getting it off with some software I have if you let me know i can help

thanks

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

So, you've got software that will defeat a boot-prompt password, have you?

Software that can over-ride a bios-entry password. This I have got to hear!

Do elaborate, please!

+
    0 Votes

Hey

chevyy2

Ya I have software to over ride the password are you the guy that need help with the zx5000 ??

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I'd love for you to explain to me how any software can override a boot password, given that the boot password pops up before the operating system has loaded.

Unless you've got some new kind of software that runs off the motherboard!

+
    0 Votes

Hi

chevyy2

LOL Look I have the software to do what he will need if he emailsme you are not in need for it rite !!?? so helpis not what your looking for and the software is not cheap!!!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Sounds more like a desperate attempt to change the subject!

I'm not asking for the software by name, I'm simply asking how it can possibly work.

I would suggest that the software is indeed not cheap - IT IS NON-EXISTENT!!!

+
    0 Votes

Hey

chevyy2

You know what trust is a good thing and the software is EXISTET SO THERE

Have a good one

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

But I fail to see how in a NB that they would be of any use as the EPROM is soldered onto the M'Board and isn't a replaceable unit.

While the EPROM Readers/Programs are quite expensive you also need one for each type of PROM so that increases the cost but I still fail to see how you can reprogramme a EPROM when it's part of the M'Board.

If you are alluding to any other form of software to change the BIOS it simply doesn't exist as with these passwords there is no possibility to allow the hardware to reach the stage to alter the BIOS so it's impossible to change any Password that has been programed into this level of the system with software.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    thejdawg569_2000

remove the cmos battery, take a little bit to get to it, that is the fastest way. Cmos battery removal will clear the bios, of course if you upgraded your bios you will have to probly have to download it again.

+
    0 Votes
    anubisgodd2006

So, how can this be done? I thought the only way was through hardware if the board supports it. I'm the one about the laptop.

+
    0 Votes
    chevyy2

Edited

Message was edited by: beth.blakely@...

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Beware ye, all who enter here ^^ above!

This is a scam.

If you can't see it, you must be blind!

+
    0 Votes

Wow

tech

This is odd. I normally don't set a password to startup, I just make sure that all of the accounts on the computer are password protected. I know that you can run windows under safe mode to get by that (most of the time), but to bypass bios? That's a new one for me, however, I did read about some software that could bypass it, but I don't see how, since it's a password on startup. I mean you couldn't boot from a CD or Floppy anyway, until after that step, or at least on the computers i been working on.

I dunno.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I downloaded an .iso of one of these so-called "beat all, bypass all" type doobries, burned it to CD, stuck it in my old tower unit and re-booted.

Stuck it in my laptop and re-booted.

I, for one, don't mind boot passwords. What I do mind is the fact that I'm on my third laptop - the previous two having been stolen but I'm pretty sure never used.

I had the MAC address for the last one and apparently it has never been found online.

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

contact HP support to see how to get by the PW. If it is a stolen unit, they can inform you of this as well.
    If it was this guys unit, and he no longer wants it AND does not know the PW, and wants to sell it for $200, it is most likely stolen.

I would say no to the deal.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

Actually the term "**** happens" wasn't thought of because it isn't true. I also happen to be dealing with an HP Pavillion zv5000 in which a disgruntled employee went in and changed the BIOS password on a company owned machine and later claimed he forgot it after he was fired. So now I too am seeking a means to use a backdoor to access and reset the password so this machine can be returned to service in our accounting department here at Harley Davidson. Any RELEVANT help besides the paranoid thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

I would have thought that answer would be obvious! Who in their right mind would want to pay HP $300 for something as simple as resetting a bloody BIOS Password? Hence my request for someone with actual technical know-how to help me with this. So lets not play 20 questions about topics other than what I have asked for. If you know what will work for this issue then great if not please keep your comments and questions to yourself.

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

Or an IT staff for support?

That would seem a bit odd.

Other than that, you get quite defensive very quickly.
    Ok, I will keep from helping in any way if questions are not permitted.

+
    0 Votes
    reasterling

I seriously doubt you have the technical expertise to help anyways if all you are consumed by are irrelevant questions instead of the technical knowledge to provide help. Here I thought I could actually find serious like minded individuals here but guess that was a mistake.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

There are serious individuals here who ignore Criminals & Criminal Activity.

Unfortunately for you no one here is like you who consorts with criminals.

I just wonder how accurate any of the above that you have posted actually is. None of it by what I have seen previously when dealing with other Professionals.

+
    0 Votes
    jdclyde

A company like HD doesn't keep a maintenance contract on their systems?

A company like HD doesn't hire competent techs that first, would have locked down the systems, and second, would know how to get around this?

refesterlings, it must sure suck to be you if you are the one that is responsible for that system, and your incompetence is left showing like this. Might be following the fired employee to the unemployment line.

Tip, when you walk in with your hat in hand, asking for something for nothing, being a **** will NEVER get you what you need.

+
    0 Votes
    thejdawg569_2000

i tried that if it was a dell no prob. hp said all i can do is send it to them and they can reset the laptop. that was their help.
    I do not have the original purchase receit that they want to do this.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

A credit card payment on the monthly statement is just as good most times.

Just because HP want to make sure that the unit isn't stolen is not a problem surely.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

That would prove ownership beyond any doubt. You'd have used that to prove ownership if you were to apply for a warranty repair!

Odd that you didn't think of it in this case.