HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

0 Votes

HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

El Plates
I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
0 Votes
Collapse -

There was a class action lawsuit and warranty extension on this, but I think that has ended.

The soldering for the video processor chip fails, such that you get no video/post.

The fix is new Mobo, but I have repaired two of these with a simple heat gun. With a heat-shield and using an IR thermometer to avoid cooking the GPU, applying heat will re-melt the solder balls under the GPU.

On YouTube there are others who simply bake the board in a toaster oven to re-flow the GPU solder connections and it works.

If by chance you DO get video from an external monitor, then perhaps either the display backlight inverter has failed, or the cables that feed power to the display backlight are damaged.