Questions

hp Pavillion dv9000 no display

+
0 Votes

hp Pavillion dv9000 no display

TPassavant
In a scenario similar to another member, just a few short weeks after warranty expiration, my Pavillion laptop has lost the display. On bootup, it will either restart by itself, or give one long and two short beeps. I thought it had stopped (because I couldn't see any display) then one time I just let it continue and after a minute or two I heard the familiar Vista sound so it boots up, just cant see. I tried hooking up an external monitor but no good. I tried using a flash light on the display to see if I could see anything, but all is dark. I welcome any suggestion because laptop repair is unfamiliar territory.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

And that means the Video Generator not the Display Units as an External Monitor doesn't produce any display.

You really need to take it to an authorised repairer who will have stocks of Spare Parts so you don't end up buying things that you don't need to see if that cures the problem.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    bruce.c.brown

There is a known issue with both models that HP is not making well known. If you have these models and fall into a wide range of serial numbers, they will repair these known issues at no cost, up to a year after your original warranty expires (the actual terminology is 24 months after original purchase), so if you have the standard 1 year warranty, it is now two for this. Details are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dl

+
    0 Votes
    david.wallis

if you can see a faint display then the FL inverter is faulty.

try moving the screen back and forward does the screen flicker on or stay off? if it flickers the inverter meerly needs cleaning.

if it stays off the inverter needs replacing..

basicaly what the inverter does is step the voltage up on one end from 5ish volts up to a few hundred volts dc at the other end and lights up the glass tube in the screen.

if the inverter isnt working you will get no light :)

have a scout round on ebay for a replacement you only need to take out about 4 screws and unplug it and plug in the new 1

+
    0 Votes
    david.wallis

if it uses an award bios, this is the error

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

+
    0 Votes
    aquarino

Yeah, I am using the the model. And It happened just couple of months after warranty. ( I was at HP centre twice before the warranty expired for replacement) And now it costs about 400USD just change the MOBO. Anyone with any suggestion besides getting the laptop to the yard and smash it to million pieces?! Cheers! :)

+
    0 Votes
    pitstop87

This could be due to overheating caused by a faulty fan algorithm. HP has released a bios update to resolve the issue. However you will need to get the graphics chipset replaced. Certain dv9000 laptops with this issue are eligible for a warranty extension/ free repair being offered by hp. To see if your eligible and for further information refer to the following post :
    http://pitstop87.blogspot.com/2009/07/hp-laptop-recall.html

Even if you get it repaired i suggest you put in the bios update to prevent further recurrences.

+
    0 Votes
    ashily24dee

Hi,

Due to the problems in the inverter or due to the troubles in the cable connection usually screen flickering happens in the display of HP Laptop. As the inverters are responsible to supply power to the back-lit of the screen, any problem in the inverter would create troubles. By replacing your inverter and by checking the connections of the cable in your HP laptop, this problem could be easily resolved.

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/laptop-no-display.html

Hope this information helps you.

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

And that means the Video Generator not the Display Units as an External Monitor doesn't produce any display.

You really need to take it to an authorised repairer who will have stocks of Spare Parts so you don't end up buying things that you don't need to see if that cures the problem.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    bruce.c.brown

There is a known issue with both models that HP is not making well known. If you have these models and fall into a wide range of serial numbers, they will repair these known issues at no cost, up to a year after your original warranty expires (the actual terminology is 24 months after original purchase), so if you have the standard 1 year warranty, it is now two for this. Details are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dl

+
    0 Votes
    david.wallis

if you can see a faint display then the FL inverter is faulty.

try moving the screen back and forward does the screen flicker on or stay off? if it flickers the inverter meerly needs cleaning.

if it stays off the inverter needs replacing..

basicaly what the inverter does is step the voltage up on one end from 5ish volts up to a few hundred volts dc at the other end and lights up the glass tube in the screen.

if the inverter isnt working you will get no light :)

have a scout round on ebay for a replacement you only need to take out about 4 screws and unplug it and plug in the new 1

+
    0 Votes
    david.wallis

if it uses an award bios, this is the error

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

+
    0 Votes
    aquarino

Yeah, I am using the the model. And It happened just couple of months after warranty. ( I was at HP centre twice before the warranty expired for replacement) And now it costs about 400USD just change the MOBO. Anyone with any suggestion besides getting the laptop to the yard and smash it to million pieces?! Cheers! :)

+
    0 Votes
    pitstop87

This could be due to overheating caused by a faulty fan algorithm. HP has released a bios update to resolve the issue. However you will need to get the graphics chipset replaced. Certain dv9000 laptops with this issue are eligible for a warranty extension/ free repair being offered by hp. To see if your eligible and for further information refer to the following post :
    http://pitstop87.blogspot.com/2009/07/hp-laptop-recall.html

Even if you get it repaired i suggest you put in the bios update to prevent further recurrences.

+
    0 Votes
    ashily24dee

Hi,

Due to the problems in the inverter or due to the troubles in the cable connection usually screen flickering happens in the display of HP Laptop. As the inverters are responsible to supply power to the back-lit of the screen, any problem in the inverter would create troubles. By replacing your inverter and by checking the connections of the cable in your HP laptop, this problem could be easily resolved.

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/laptop-no-display.html

Hope this information helps you.