Questions

HP Pavillion P6115y Will not boot?

+
1 Votes

HP Pavillion P6115y Will not boot?

doozy1980
Hey everyone, okay I need some advice. My friends computer recently went down and they can't figure it out so they called me.

Story: His wife was using the computer and it just froze on her, no blue screen nothing, so she just shut it off.

The Issue: The dang thing will not boot, no safe mode nothing....upon restarting it the hp blue splash screen comes up...sometimes it remains a plain blue. I did get my Hirens cd to boot but upon loading the linux rescue I got a disc error.

When the computer first turns on there is a msg that reads "please insert boot media" or something like that and upon sitting for a few mins (off) I can get a disc to boot but its short lived, is the boot sector fudged up? There a way I can connect the computer to my computer to run diagnostics on the hardware? I looked inside and everything looks normal, reseated the memory and that looked fine. Also, I disconnected all the usb devices from the computer to try getting it to boot that way but stil nothing (trying not to leave anything out so I'm hop scotching around. Its a x64 Vista as-well. kk thanks everyone and I appreciate the time you took to read this and possibly help.
  • +
    0 Votes
    entropypawsed

Have you scanned the hdd for rootkit virus? The way I would do this would be to pull the drive, and plug it into the usb port of another computer via Apricorn Drivewire. I would run Avira Antivir (free download and updates). If it is rootkit, Reinstall the drive, then Use Testdisk to wipe the mbr and then rewrite it. I use a copy included with PartedMagic on the Ultimate Boot CD that I have installed on a bootable usb thumbdrive. You might also have to use a Windows Recovery Environment CD to help rebuild the mbr. Good luck whatever it happens to be!

+
    0 Votes
    doozy1980

So I recently went with my friend and picked up a brand spanking new hard drive, figuring it was in fact the HDD, am still getting the same problem....will not boot with boot disc (Ie: windows disc and also rescue discs ((hirens boot dvd etc etc etc)) ) still keep getting the same errors as if the old HDD was in....it will boot without the HDD connected though....any suggestions, sheesh this is taking forever but am committed to fixing this or at least figuring out what is exactly wrong with this machine.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Have you tested it with the Ultimate Boot CD?

It really sounds like some sort of M'Board issue here though.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    TACWALKER

Try replacing the MB to HDD SATA cable.

TAC

• +
    0 Votes
    entropypawsed

Have you scanned the hdd for rootkit virus? The way I would do this would be to pull the drive, and plug it into the usb port of another computer via Apricorn Drivewire. I would run Avira Antivir (free download and updates). If it is rootkit, Reinstall the drive, then Use Testdisk to wipe the mbr and then rewrite it. I use a copy included with PartedMagic on the Ultimate Boot CD that I have installed on a bootable usb thumbdrive. You might also have to use a Windows Recovery Environment CD to help rebuild the mbr. Good luck whatever it happens to be!

+
    0 Votes
    doozy1980

So I recently went with my friend and picked up a brand spanking new hard drive, figuring it was in fact the HDD, am still getting the same problem....will not boot with boot disc (Ie: windows disc and also rescue discs ((hirens boot dvd etc etc etc)) ) still keep getting the same errors as if the old HDD was in....it will boot without the HDD connected though....any suggestions, sheesh this is taking forever but am committed to fixing this or at least figuring out what is exactly wrong with this machine.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Have you tested it with the Ultimate Boot CD?

It really sounds like some sort of M'Board issue here though.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    TACWALKER

Try replacing the MB to HDD SATA cable.

TAC