Questions

I am trying to install windows 2000 on a HDD and I get the message to run

Tags: Windows
+
0 Votes

I am trying to install windows 2000 on a HDD and I get the message to run

crucheau
I am trying to install windows 2000 on a HDD and I get the message to run checkdisk but the HDD doesn't have any OS. How can I run chkdsk?

Member Answers

• +
      0 Votes
      crucheau

I did as you said and that seems to be the problem. It is fixed now. Thank you Col.

+
      0 Votes
      HAL 9000 Moderator

It sounds as if the Windows 2000 Installer is balking at the existing Partition on the Drive and wants you to format the drive before it can proceed. This was common when you tried to install XP onto a HDD that had previously had Vista/7 installed on it if that is any help.

If the drive has previously had Vista/7 installed on it you'll need to wipe it with a Wiping Utility like Kill Disc or Boot & Nuke to remove the current Partition Tables and allow you to format the drive.

Col

• +
      0 Votes
      HAL 9000 Moderator

It sounds as if the Windows 2000 Installer is balking at the existing Partition on the Drive and wants you to format the drive before it can proceed. This was common when you tried to install XP onto a HDD that had previously had Vista/7 installed on it if that is any help.

If the drive has previously had Vista/7 installed on it you'll need to wipe it with a Wiping Utility like Kill Disc or Boot & Nuke to remove the current Partition Tables and allow you to format the drive.

Col

+
      0 Votes
      crucheau

I did as you said and that seems to be the problem. It is fixed now. Thank you Col.