Questions

IBM Thinkpad 600X - Device Mgr will not recognize CD-Rom

Tags:
+
0 Votes

IBM Thinkpad 600X - Device Mgr will not recognize CD-Rom

jtlo38
I am running WinXP-SP3. My CD-Rom suddenly stopped working. Device Mgr says I have a Floppy Drive installed and I cannot get it to recognize (list) the CD-Rom that 'IS' in the bay. I do not have a Floppy Drive.
I have reset BIOS and no help. Has anyone encountered this problem and, if so, how do I correct it??

Thanks & HELP !!
John L. jlongmir@bellsouth.net
  • +
    0 Votes
    shasca

I have had the Creation Software cause this issue, and I have also had corrupt OS cause this issue and read/write errors.

This is if in fact the drive has not failed mechanically. Have you done anything to verify the drive works. Like putting in another case?

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Have you removed and reinserted the CD-ROM drive. You may have to remove a security screw to be able to remove the UltraslimBay device.

After reinserting the UltraslimBay device check the BIOS to see if it is detected. If it is not being detected it has more than likely failed and will have to be replaced.

If it is detected in the BIOS but not showing in Device Manager try this for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters. Save a Backup of the keys before proceeding.

Click on Start, Run and type in 'regedt32' and press Enter
    Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key by clicking the "+" next to it.
    Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
    Expand the "Control" Key
    Expand the "Class" Key
    Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    High light this key by left clicking on it
    On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these Keys delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete" exit the registry.
    Restart your PC.

If the drive is not present in the Disk Management window or if you are not able to access it, then the drive may have failed. In this window you should see all of your connected physical drives, their format, if they are healthy, and the drive letter.

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
    <HR>
    <i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

If you want to be contacted turn on Peer Mail.

Click on My Workspace, Profile and select Edit and down the bottom you will see.

Contact Permissions

Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me (your e-mail address will not be displayed to other members)

Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me
    Do not allow other TechRepublic members to contact me

Tick the button next to Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me and then click on Update My Profile.

• +
    0 Votes
    shasca

I have had the Creation Software cause this issue, and I have also had corrupt OS cause this issue and read/write errors.

This is if in fact the drive has not failed mechanically. Have you done anything to verify the drive works. Like putting in another case?

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Have you removed and reinserted the CD-ROM drive. You may have to remove a security screw to be able to remove the UltraslimBay device.

After reinserting the UltraslimBay device check the BIOS to see if it is detected. If it is not being detected it has more than likely failed and will have to be replaced.

If it is detected in the BIOS but not showing in Device Manager try this for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters. Save a Backup of the keys before proceeding.

Click on Start, Run and type in 'regedt32' and press Enter
    Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key by clicking the "+" next to it.
    Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
    Expand the "Control" Key
    Expand the "Class" Key
    Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    High light this key by left clicking on it
    On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these Keys delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete" exit the registry.
    Restart your PC.

If the drive is not present in the Disk Management window or if you are not able to access it, then the drive may have failed. In this window you should see all of your connected physical drives, their format, if they are healthy, and the drive letter.

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
    <HR>
    <i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

If you want to be contacted turn on Peer Mail.

Click on My Workspace, Profile and select Edit and down the bottom you will see.

Contact Permissions

Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me (your e-mail address will not be displayed to other members)

Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me
    Do not allow other TechRepublic members to contact me

Tick the button next to Allow other TechRepublic members to contact me and then click on Update My Profile.