Questions

Installing IBM Director 5.2 in a Server 2003 Environment

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Installing IBM Director 5.2 in a Server 2003 Environment

gdavies
Hi All,

I am trying to install IBM Director in our test Server 2003 environement.

I want a seperate LAN just for Director, and I'm using a spare 8 port router with DHCP turned on for the subnet 192.168.21.X.

All servers will use BMC connections as we don't have RSA-II adapters.

After many fruitless hours trying to get the "Management port" connected, I called IBM support who told me that the BMC shares the first NIC. So I plugged the first NIC of the management server into the router, and gave it a static address outside the DHCP range.

Interestingly, the BIOS BMC is set to DHCP, and it got a DIFFERENT DHCP address from the static addrss I assigned in Windows, so I set it to the same IP as I assigned the NIC in Windows.

I installed a Level 2 agent on another PC that I can't reboot at the moment to look in the BIOS, after connecting the first NIC to the new "management" LAN.

When I login to the server using the new LAN and the static IP I assigned it, the managed Agent 2 system shows up, but I can't do anything to it.

The Management Server shows up, but lists the "production" IP address from another submet that I told it NOT to access during the installation, and reports the wrong OS (XP instead of Server 2003).

Any help / tips / advice ??
  • +
    0 Votes
    simon

Probably a bit late now but you can't have 2 nodes on one network with the same address so the BMC needs a different address from the windows installation. The BMC is really another computer inside your server.

Also, as far as I'm aware there is no loopback to the local machine can't access its own BMC via the network

• +
    0 Votes
    simon

Probably a bit late now but you can't have 2 nodes on one network with the same address so the BMC needs a different address from the windows installation. The BMC is really another computer inside your server.

Also, as far as I'm aware there is no loopback to the local machine can't access its own BMC via the network