Questions

Installing Windows 8 on a SSD in a new unopened Lenovo Y580

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Installing Windows 8 on a SSD in a new unopened Lenovo Y580

saint3r1
Hello guys

I would like to replace the HDD which comes with a Lenovo Y580 and install a SSD in its place. The laptop has not been opened and so I haven't used the product key yet. How do I install Windows in the unused SSD from the unused HDD?

Member Answers

• +
      0 Votes
      TheChas

I would just use the image software of my choice and clone the hard drive from the laptop to the SSD.

If either drive is a Seagate or Western Digital, you should be able to use the free version of Acronis from the Seagate or Western Digital website. Make sure to copy the recovery partition.

If the SSD is a smaller capacity than the laptop drive, you may need to manually size the partitions.

After the cloning, install the SSD in the laptop and boot up.

Chas

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

Cloning is a pain. I was looking for a way around it. I think I will load Windows8 from a flash drive

+
      0 Votes
      TheChas

Just note that the product key on the Lenovo will most likely only work with the Lenovo OEM distribution of Windows 8. If you install from a different source, you are apt to need a different product key.

If you are REAL lucky, you may be able to change the product key after installation. All in all, it should only take about an hour longer than just cloning the hard drive.

One other option might be to boot up with the existing hard drive and burn the recovery disk set. At least that way you should have no problems using the Lenovo OEM product key.

Chas

+
      0 Votes
      ITKimK

Some drive manufacturers include cloning software with their drives, if not then check out Clonezilla...it is free(open source) and fairly easy to use. It also has some pretty powerful features under the hood, such as: resizing an image while cloning. Once the drive is copied you can swap out the clone for the original drive and it is bootable.

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

I ordered a Mushkin, I am not sure if it comes with such software, but I was looking for a way around Cloning

+
      0 Votes
      ITKimK

After checking the spec's, I realized the Y580 uses a Seagate Momentus drive which is a hybrid drive...usually a 24gb ssd and a mechanical drive combination which utilizes the ssd for the OS to facillitate faster boot-times and the conventional drive for storage. If the ssd fails it will still function as a regular drive.

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

I am not sure if my laptop has that. I will be pretty pissed if it does though, because I already ordered a $170 SSD...

• +
      0 Votes
      TheChas

I would just use the image software of my choice and clone the hard drive from the laptop to the SSD.

If either drive is a Seagate or Western Digital, you should be able to use the free version of Acronis from the Seagate or Western Digital website. Make sure to copy the recovery partition.

If the SSD is a smaller capacity than the laptop drive, you may need to manually size the partitions.

After the cloning, install the SSD in the laptop and boot up.

Chas

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

Cloning is a pain. I was looking for a way around it. I think I will load Windows8 from a flash drive

+
      0 Votes
      TheChas

Just note that the product key on the Lenovo will most likely only work with the Lenovo OEM distribution of Windows 8. If you install from a different source, you are apt to need a different product key.

If you are REAL lucky, you may be able to change the product key after installation. All in all, it should only take about an hour longer than just cloning the hard drive.

One other option might be to boot up with the existing hard drive and burn the recovery disk set. At least that way you should have no problems using the Lenovo OEM product key.

Chas

+
      0 Votes
      ITKimK

Some drive manufacturers include cloning software with their drives, if not then check out Clonezilla...it is free(open source) and fairly easy to use. It also has some pretty powerful features under the hood, such as: resizing an image while cloning. Once the drive is copied you can swap out the clone for the original drive and it is bootable.

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

I ordered a Mushkin, I am not sure if it comes with such software, but I was looking for a way around Cloning

+
      0 Votes
      ITKimK

After checking the spec's, I realized the Y580 uses a Seagate Momentus drive which is a hybrid drive...usually a 24gb ssd and a mechanical drive combination which utilizes the ssd for the OS to facillitate faster boot-times and the conventional drive for storage. If the ssd fails it will still function as a regular drive.

+
      0 Votes
      saint3r1

I am not sure if my laptop has that. I will be pretty pissed if it does though, because I already ordered a $170 SSD...