Questions

Inteview and acceptance dilemma

+
0 Votes
Locked

Inteview and acceptance dilemma

madtechgirl
I applied for a higher level position in my company three months ago. After three weeks I went to the hiring manager and asked what was up with the position. He told me I had made the cut and he had 15 candidates to interview but he was thinking about not filling the position. He also mentioned that another in-house person was interested and the guy has been here longer than me. So I figured I should look elsewhere. I interviewed elsewhere and accepted a position with another company. Here's the dilemma. - I gave my two week notice. Three days later the hiring manager sends me an email saying he heard I was leaving, he's decided to fill the position and wants to know if I was still interested. I am still interested because it's a higher level position and I wanted to stay with this company BUT I've already accepted a job with another company. What should I do? Interview? Then what if I'm offered the job? Go to the new one then come back? Work out not going to the new one and apologize to them but retract my acceptance? Has anyone experienced this before?
  • +
    0 Votes
    RAPace

    We had a similar situation. We were considering a current employee for a promotion, it was part of larger re-org that was taking a little longer than expected. We talked with him, explained the situation and asked that he be patient because we felt he was the right person for the role. He got impatient and gave his notice 3 weeks later. 2 weeks after he left he was looking to come back into the new position (the grass was definitely NOT greener) but management felt that his unwillingness to wait it out indicated a bigger issue and choose someone else for the position.

    In your current position you have the basis for promotion, unless your new job would be considered a promotion I would hold off on taking it.

    I would be honest with the new job, letting them know that your current job is offering a counter offer of a promotion and that you appreciated they opportunity they offered.

    :)

    +
    0 Votes
    Wayne M.

    Let me summarize your job options.

    1. Old job, Old company - Guaranteed, but the least desirable job.

    2. New job, New company - Guaranteed, second most desirable job.

    3. New job, Old company - Not guaranteed, but the most desirable job.

    I would recommend that unless the hiring manager at the old company is going to guarantee the new job (job #3), go to the new company. Promotions are unlikely at the old company (15 candidates to interview after the cut). Promotions may be more likely at the new company (can't predict this).

    I would suggest going with your initial plan, and taking the new job with the new company. I would not back out of your acceptance unless the hiring manager guarantees that you get the new position and does it immediately. Just given the numbers, I think it would be likely that if you stayed at your old company, you would still not get the promotion and the next opportunity may be a long time coming.

    +
    0 Votes
    JamesRL

    By giving notice, you may have set off alarm bells about loyalty etc, and if you don't have that new job locked, don't count on it.

    I wouldn't stay without the new job offer in writing. I have seen verbal offers vapourise in these situations, sadly.

    James

    +
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

    They heard you were leaving then they offer you a 15:1 chance of getting a promotion. Yippee, woohoo etc.

    If they were pushed to make the offer at the thought of losing your services they would have made a better offer, like we'll promote you today.

    They didn't so they don't, they're dumb or they think you are. Possibly all three if HR got in on the act.
    You are risking nothing, gloss it up with the new firm, "even though they made me a counter offer I still came".

    +
    0 Votes
    TechExec2

    You've already engaged in a THREE MONTH hiring drama with your current company (which, from your post, I have NO respect for). You've already accepted the new job. You've already notified your current employer. It's done! You need to honor your commitment.

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

    Your old employer is wishy-washy and you know it. You should not be drawn into being wishy-washy yourself.

    Your original instincts (seeking employment elsewhere) were correct.


    P.S. Given how wishy-washy your current employer was about filling this "great" position, and with you (and the other "lucky" 14), how do you know they won't reverse course and eliminate the position 6 months from now? Something to think about.

    +
    0 Votes
    midniteone

    ...you've got the new job with the new company and won it on your merits. You've looked them over and their offer is acceptable. You've really got to go. Your old company has no particular loyalty to you so you're not bound to give them a second chance. Turn the new one down now and you'll (a) spoil your relationship with them as well and (b) spend a lot of time wondering 'what if'. Good work. Do it.

    +
    0 Votes
    madtechgirl

    Thank you, all of you for your replies. Your comments provided much needed clarity. I went ahead and interviewed for the higher level position with the old company. I figured I need all the practice in interviewing I can get. I am here at my new job now and I'm happy that I came.
    Thanks again.

  • +
    0 Votes
    RAPace

    We had a similar situation. We were considering a current employee for a promotion, it was part of larger re-org that was taking a little longer than expected. We talked with him, explained the situation and asked that he be patient because we felt he was the right person for the role. He got impatient and gave his notice 3 weeks later. 2 weeks after he left he was looking to come back into the new position (the grass was definitely NOT greener) but management felt that his unwillingness to wait it out indicated a bigger issue and choose someone else for the position.

    In your current position you have the basis for promotion, unless your new job would be considered a promotion I would hold off on taking it.

    I would be honest with the new job, letting them know that your current job is offering a counter offer of a promotion and that you appreciated they opportunity they offered.

    :)

    +
    0 Votes
    Wayne M.

    Let me summarize your job options.

    1. Old job, Old company - Guaranteed, but the least desirable job.

    2. New job, New company - Guaranteed, second most desirable job.

    3. New job, Old company - Not guaranteed, but the most desirable job.

    I would recommend that unless the hiring manager at the old company is going to guarantee the new job (job #3), go to the new company. Promotions are unlikely at the old company (15 candidates to interview after the cut). Promotions may be more likely at the new company (can't predict this).

    I would suggest going with your initial plan, and taking the new job with the new company. I would not back out of your acceptance unless the hiring manager guarantees that you get the new position and does it immediately. Just given the numbers, I think it would be likely that if you stayed at your old company, you would still not get the promotion and the next opportunity may be a long time coming.

    +
    0 Votes
    JamesRL

    By giving notice, you may have set off alarm bells about loyalty etc, and if you don't have that new job locked, don't count on it.

    I wouldn't stay without the new job offer in writing. I have seen verbal offers vapourise in these situations, sadly.

    James

    +
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

    They heard you were leaving then they offer you a 15:1 chance of getting a promotion. Yippee, woohoo etc.

    If they were pushed to make the offer at the thought of losing your services they would have made a better offer, like we'll promote you today.

    They didn't so they don't, they're dumb or they think you are. Possibly all three if HR got in on the act.
    You are risking nothing, gloss it up with the new firm, "even though they made me a counter offer I still came".

    +
    0 Votes
    TechExec2

    You've already engaged in a THREE MONTH hiring drama with your current company (which, from your post, I have NO respect for). You've already accepted the new job. You've already notified your current employer. It's done! You need to honor your commitment.

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

    Your old employer is wishy-washy and you know it. You should not be drawn into being wishy-washy yourself.

    Your original instincts (seeking employment elsewhere) were correct.


    P.S. Given how wishy-washy your current employer was about filling this "great" position, and with you (and the other "lucky" 14), how do you know they won't reverse course and eliminate the position 6 months from now? Something to think about.

    +
    0 Votes
    midniteone

    ...you've got the new job with the new company and won it on your merits. You've looked them over and their offer is acceptable. You've really got to go. Your old company has no particular loyalty to you so you're not bound to give them a second chance. Turn the new one down now and you'll (a) spoil your relationship with them as well and (b) spend a lot of time wondering 'what if'. Good work. Do it.

    +
    0 Votes
    madtechgirl

    Thank you, all of you for your replies. Your comments provided much needed clarity. I went ahead and interviewed for the higher level position with the old company. I figured I need all the practice in interviewing I can get. I am here at my new job now and I'm happy that I came.
    Thanks again.