Questions

Is there a way to reset administrator privileges through the registry?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Is there a way to reset administrator privileges through the registry?

zfreeman
I have an SBS 2003 server. I believe it has been infected with at least one instance of malware. It will not accept my administrator password in normal or safe mode. I put the drive in a hard drive enclosure and connected it to another computer. I can work on it that way, but it will not log into windows. I have edited the registry so that the command prompt comes up instead of the screen saver. At that prompt I try to type net user Administrator newpassword, and it gives me a System 5 error and says Access denied.

I'm hoping that if I can remove the infection that will at least give me access to it. All of the services were running until this weekend. Now, I can get to OWA, RWW, and Exchange has stopped sending and receiving. Outlook still shows that it is connected to the Exchange Server. The users can all use the network shares as well.

Is there a way to manipulate the registry somehow to at least get me back with administrative privileges so that I can log on to the computer? I know the cleanest answer is to re-build it, but I'm not too confident with the Backup Exec backups either, and I don't want to lose my data and settings, especially Exchange.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?