Questions

Is there any such thing as a 5.25 external USB floppy drive?

+
1 Votes

Is there any such thing as a 5.25 external USB floppy drive?

Locrian_Lyric
I have a customer who's equipment got destroyed during Hurricane Sandy. All of his software was on 5.25 floppy disks, is there any equipment I can hook up to a 5.25 to make it work with a new (windows computer? I know that once I can get the software setup, I can run DOSbox to run the software, but how do I get around the hardware issue?
Clarifications Clarifications
+
0 Votes
silverfinger
Collapse -

I am not sure why you would go through all this trouble for software. There is nothing currently out there to replace what they were using? What are they trying to replace? If the disks had data I could understand.

+
1 Votes
n2add
Collapse -

1. I purchased a 5.25-inch floppy on eBay and installed it in an old computer and proceeded to copy my 5.25-inch disks. About 20% of the disks could not be read properly. I also did the same thing with my 3.5-inch disks. Everything I could copy is now on a CD.

2. I tried one of those dual drives but I could never get it to work properly. I tried various combinations of the jumpers but no luck.

3. Some computers that do have a floppy connector on the motherboard will only recognize 3.5-inch drives.

+
0 Votes
powerserver13
Collapse -

I HAVE ONE TOO, YOU CAN HAVE, CAME OUT OF AN OLD "SYMPHONY" COMPUTER 80836/?? THE WHOLE COMPUTER WORKS GREAT, JUST NEED ANOTHER COM1 PLUG FOR A KEYBOARD.????

+
0 Votes
inkwell
Collapse -

I have an old Tandy 5 1/4 parallel port drive.
I took the drive out of the case, and cabled it to my Athlon 2400 XP-S3 box.
I backed up 40 5 1/4 floppy disks to one folder and fit them all with room to spare on a 4 gb usb drive. If you haven't had any resolution and want to send them to me in Canada, I'll do it for you, I just get a kick over how old tech seems to come to the rescue. I'd need the return postage & that's all.