Questions

Answer for:

Learn Unix/Linux

Message 11 of 12

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
LeonBA

You can be off to a good start by switching from Windows to Linux full-time. Back in 2009 I decided to make the switch. I looked into different Linux distros and settled on one that was meant to be easy to use, was well supported, and whose look and feel I was comfortable with. For me that meant Xubuntu, which I could set up to look and act like Windows 2000. For you it might be Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or what have you.

My recommendation would be to first back up your hard drive, then maybe image it. Then wipe the drive and install your distro of choice. (Nothing says you can't go back later and install another distro, or even reinstall Windows.) Then just use Linux day-to-day, doing all the things you normally did in Windows, which will involve a fair amount of figuring out how to do those things in Linux.

We learn by doing. Books would be a helpful supplement but probably wouldn't do nearly as much for you as just using the OS. If you're using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, or Mint, you might find Keir Thomas's "Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference" (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html) a helpful resource. It's outdated now, since it was written for version 10.10, but it's free to download and is an easy read.