Questions

Mailing to selected contacts via Excel 2000/Outlook 2003

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Mailing to selected contacts via Excel 2000/Outlook 2003

Chip Seelig
Good Morning,

I work in the illustrious world of P&C Insurance, and to help streamline my workflow, I've created a "risk submission log" in Excel. The spreadsheet has 5 columns, from left to right: Insurance Company Name, Submit (check boxes correspond with the Insurance Company), Date Submitted, Response, & Notes.

Here?s a text version of what a row would look like:

Insurance Company ? Submit [checkbox] ? Date Submitted (pre-fills) ? Response ? Notes

The way this works is when the user checks one of the select boxes under ?Submit?, Excel pre-fills the ?Date Submitted? cell with the current days date. Here is the formula, to better explain:

=IF(B7=TRUE,TODAY(),0)

With that being said, I want to take my spreadsheet to the next level. If possible, I would like for the user, after they've selected which carriers they're going to submit to, to be able to click a "Process Email" button, where all of the ?checked? companies email addresses are placed into the BCC field of a new Outlook email message. I?m not looking for the message to be sent, at this point, just to have a new email open with the selected companies in the appropriate field. We have to give narratives with our submissions, and my goal for doing all this is hoping to reduce a step in the process. Currently, we have to enter the email addresses by typing. This doesn?t sound like a huge time-saver, but 5 seconds saved on each account, when you have an agency with several thousands of clients, adds up rather quickly.

I'm guessing there is going to be some type of VB Script involved, but as I know nothing about VB Script, I wasn't sure if there was another way to make this happen. Any help from fellow gurus is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.