Questions

Microsoft Exchange Server giving error 0x8004011D

+
0 Votes

Microsoft Exchange Server giving error 0x8004011D

jdillman
I have an XP pro Sp2 machine that whenever it tries to connect to the exchange server it gives the following error:
Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004011D) : 'The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists.'

It is only on this one machine. I can log in with the accounts on any other machine. I can log in with Outlook Web Access from the problem machine. I am able to ping the exchange server from the problem machine by ip address and FQDN. I can ping the workstation from the server. I have tried reinstalling Office to no avail. Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated.
  • +
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Have a look at the followinfg link as it relates to your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=821Good Luck

+
    0 Votes

LOL

Travler92

The Good Luck is not part of the link ;-)

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

When I go to the link(minus the good luck part:p) it says The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Based on the first 3 digits of the link that Travler tried to post, it might be this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821188/en-us

However, that applies to Office XP SP2. You told us you're running "XP Pro SP2", but didn't specify if that is the operating system or the verion of Office that you're running.

If not Office XP SP2, perhaps you have Office 2003 or Office 2007. In that case, this article may well apply instead.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289971/en-us

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

I'm sorry I didn't mention it, I am running Office 2003. The article you linked to for Outlook 2003 tree wasn't the problem. When I open up outlook it asks me for a password like it should, it just doesn't connect.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

so what your saying is Outlook can not connect to the Exchange Server and after a period of time trying to connect said error pops up on the workstation?

This is the only knowledge base article that has that error code

That's the only resolution listed for that error code.

if after multiple attempts to fix this error, you continually can not connect to Exchange, you should contact microsoft. This is a known problem with resulting fix and if the fix doesn't work, MS needs to know.

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

I found that there was an incorrect entry in the hosts file. I was trying to go out and then come back through the firewall to the server. Changed the entry to the correct address, and it works fine now.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

in an AD environment with DNS and your using the old Netbios hosts file?

+
    0 Votes
    ManiacMan

You think this is bad? I used to consult for a financial firm in which their "genius" of an IT manager upgraded from an NT4 environment to AD with a mix of Windows 2000 and 2003 servers and was still naming new servers as PDC1, BDC1, WINS1, WINS2, and so forth. He was treating AD as if he was still back in the NT4 domain days. Not only did it irritate the **** out of me, but when I tried to make things right and explain the silliness in his naming convention and what FSMO roles were (yeah, he didn't know that either and somehow managed to get AD working properly which was a mystery to me), he got all defensive and terminated my contract. Yeah, there are morons like that out there.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

I do need to brush up on my AD skills, especially with Windows Server 2008 coming out.

+
    0 Votes
    leon.tanck

Can you share how you solve this error as i have this error and i still unable to fixed it.

+
    0 Votes
    MPR1122

Hello,

This happens most frequently over slow connections and VPN connections. Sometimes just deleting the exchange profile in outlook and recreating will correct this. If not, sometimes recreating the entire user profile works. The solution that I have found to be the easiest and most effective is as follows:

1) Log the affected user off.
    2) In Exchange manager, drill down to the information store that contains the affected users mailbox. Right click, properties and go to the security tab.
    3) Add the affected users account to the ACL and apply the "Read Information Store Status" permission.
    4) Have the user log back on, open Outlook and the problem should be resolved.
    5) Remove the user from the ACL.

Hope this helps. Many hours of troubleshooting amongst many engineers has come and gone to uncover this soultion.

-Mike

+
    0 Votes
    leon.tanck

Hi can you provide more clear way on the solution. i using exchange 2007 and server 2008

+
    0 Votes
    upcJasonD

Thanks Mike - after trying many other things - repairing outlook, scanning for malware, running a registry cleaner, flusing DNS, resetting Winsock (which sped up Outlook but still produces same error), your step-by-step fix is what got my user back up and running.

- Jason

+
    1 Votes
    albert.vj

FIXED! I fixed this (or a very similar) problem, this is how I did it:

Problem: Error (0x8004011D) Server Not Available when trying to Send and Receive in Outlook (Exchange Account on Local Server).

I tried creating a new profile or OST file as suggested in some posts, but this did not work (I didn?t think it would as the problem was occurring on all PC's on the network).

Solution: The solution was to restart the Microsoft Exchange Services on the server. Find the first such service that is set to start automatically and is started, then re-start it. You should be warned that this will restart a bunch of other services too, which is what you want. You may want to restart all the Microsoft Exchange Services just to be sure. Wholah, problem fixed!

Some more info: To restart a service, find it first. Do this by right-clicking on (My) Computer in the Start Menu and click on Manage. Then click on Services and Applications, then Services. Now find the Service, right click on it and click on Restart.

For more information see http://www.brightvisions.co.uk
    Happy Hunting!

+
    0 Votes
    noel1364

I also had this problem with a number of users the solution that worked for me was to restart the following Exchange Services:
    Information Store
    MTA Stack
    System attendant
    So thanks to Albert for pointing me in the right direction

+
    0 Votes
    Jyoti Singh 29

i am having that same problem here at work. I've restarted the Services (MS Exchange related serives) and am still having problems. I've restarted my exchange server (2x) and still no luck.Microsoft Exchange Server error 0x8004011D is what i get.please help me.

+
    0 Votes
    bibomaria

Hi !
    If your Microsoft exchange server reported an error 0x8004011D or other error code, there is a problem in your exchange server. you can easily resolve it through karnal software that i have used in last days when i faced such type of error in my exchange server. you can find it at:: www.exchangemailboxrecovery.com

+
    0 Votes
    johnadams23

MS exchange server errors but your problem will be quick solve by this software.
    i used this software is vary halpful. http://www.repairexchange.net/
    thanks

+
    0 Votes
    johnadams23

The server is not available. Microsoft Exchange Server Sending and Receiving' reported error, so it is simple error for outlook. you can also try this software http://www.outlookostrepair.com/ for connect server
    thanks

• +
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Have a look at the followinfg link as it relates to your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=821Good Luck

+
    0 Votes

LOL

Travler92

The Good Luck is not part of the link ;-)

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

When I go to the link(minus the good luck part:p) it says The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Based on the first 3 digits of the link that Travler tried to post, it might be this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821188/en-us

However, that applies to Office XP SP2. You told us you're running "XP Pro SP2", but didn't specify if that is the operating system or the verion of Office that you're running.

If not Office XP SP2, perhaps you have Office 2003 or Office 2007. In that case, this article may well apply instead.

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

I'm sorry I didn't mention it, I am running Office 2003. The article you linked to for Outlook 2003 tree wasn't the problem. When I open up outlook it asks me for a password like it should, it just doesn't connect.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

so what your saying is Outlook can not connect to the Exchange Server and after a period of time trying to connect said error pops up on the workstation?

This is the only knowledge base article that has that error code

That's the only resolution listed for that error code.

if after multiple attempts to fix this error, you continually can not connect to Exchange, you should contact microsoft. This is a known problem with resulting fix and if the fix doesn't work, MS needs to know.

+
    0 Votes
    jdillman

I found that there was an incorrect entry in the hosts file. I was trying to go out and then come back through the firewall to the server. Changed the entry to the correct address, and it works fine now.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

in an AD environment with DNS and your using the old Netbios hosts file?

+
    0 Votes
    ManiacMan

You think this is bad? I used to consult for a financial firm in which their "genius" of an IT manager upgraded from an NT4 environment to AD with a mix of Windows 2000 and 2003 servers and was still naming new servers as PDC1, BDC1, WINS1, WINS2, and so forth. He was treating AD as if he was still back in the NT4 domain days. Not only did it irritate the **** out of me, but when I tried to make things right and explain the silliness in his naming convention and what FSMO roles were (yeah, he didn't know that either and somehow managed to get AD working properly which was a mystery to me), he got all defensive and terminated my contract. Yeah, there are morons like that out there.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

I do need to brush up on my AD skills, especially with Windows Server 2008 coming out.

+
    0 Votes
    leon.tanck

Can you share how you solve this error as i have this error and i still unable to fixed it.

+
    0 Votes
    MPR1122

Hello,

This happens most frequently over slow connections and VPN connections. Sometimes just deleting the exchange profile in outlook and recreating will correct this. If not, sometimes recreating the entire user profile works. The solution that I have found to be the easiest and most effective is as follows:

1) Log the affected user off.
    2) In Exchange manager, drill down to the information store that contains the affected users mailbox. Right click, properties and go to the security tab.
    3) Add the affected users account to the ACL and apply the "Read Information Store Status" permission.
    4) Have the user log back on, open Outlook and the problem should be resolved.
    5) Remove the user from the ACL.

Hope this helps. Many hours of troubleshooting amongst many engineers has come and gone to uncover this soultion.

-Mike

+
    0 Votes
    leon.tanck

Hi can you provide more clear way on the solution. i using exchange 2007 and server 2008

+
    0 Votes
    upcJasonD

Thanks Mike - after trying many other things - repairing outlook, scanning for malware, running a registry cleaner, flusing DNS, resetting Winsock (which sped up Outlook but still produces same error), your step-by-step fix is what got my user back up and running.

- Jason

+
    1 Votes
    albert.vj

FIXED! I fixed this (or a very similar) problem, this is how I did it:

Problem: Error (0x8004011D) Server Not Available when trying to Send and Receive in Outlook (Exchange Account on Local Server).

I tried creating a new profile or OST file as suggested in some posts, but this did not work (I didn?t think it would as the problem was occurring on all PC's on the network).

Solution: The solution was to restart the Microsoft Exchange Services on the server. Find the first such service that is set to start automatically and is started, then re-start it. You should be warned that this will restart a bunch of other services too, which is what you want. You may want to restart all the Microsoft Exchange Services just to be sure. Wholah, problem fixed!

Some more info: To restart a service, find it first. Do this by right-clicking on (My) Computer in the Start Menu and click on Manage. Then click on Services and Applications, then Services. Now find the Service, right click on it and click on Restart.

For more information see http://www.brightvisions.co.uk
    Happy Hunting!

+
    0 Votes
    noel1364

I also had this problem with a number of users the solution that worked for me was to restart the following Exchange Services:
    Information Store
    MTA Stack
    System attendant
    So thanks to Albert for pointing me in the right direction

+
    0 Votes
    Jyoti Singh 29

i am having that same problem here at work. I've restarted the Services (MS Exchange related serives) and am still having problems. I've restarted my exchange server (2x) and still no luck.Microsoft Exchange Server error 0x8004011D is what i get.please help me.

+
    0 Votes
    bibomaria

Hi !
    If your Microsoft exchange server reported an error 0x8004011D or other error code, there is a problem in your exchange server. you can easily resolve it through karnal software that i have used in last days when i faced such type of error in my exchange server. you can find it at:: www.exchangemailboxrecovery.com

+
    0 Votes
    johnadams23

MS exchange server errors but your problem will be quick solve by this software.
    i used this software is vary halpful. http://www.repairexchange.net/
    thanks

+
    0 Votes
    johnadams23

The server is not available. Microsoft Exchange Server Sending and Receiving' reported error, so it is simple error for outlook. you can also try this software http://www.outlookostrepair.com/ for connect server
    thanks