Questions

Migration win 2000 server to win 2003 server

+
0 Votes

Migration win 2000 server to win 2003 server

Nal21
My DC server is Win2000 server, i have install a new Win2003, nd i need to make this one my DC.
There is any step by step manual to do this?

Thanks
  • +
    0 Votes
    animatech

is good and has information in it.
    I suggest you perform a bit of research before upgrading just to make sure all will work ok.
    The good thing is that win server 2003 is installed by default in a mix mode that will be compatible with you running DC this means that you can join it to the domain as a test system and check that all is working correctly once you are happy you can raise it's functionality to be the main DC in the business.

+
    0 Votes
    gazmend73

First you must install win2000 support tools in your old DC to extend objects of AD and make it compatible with win2003 server.Have a look inside cd with OS 2003.
    After that use in your old DC following commands:adprep /forestprep adprep /domainprep .Once everything seems to be fine ,install win2003 server in your new machine.Create a new account in your DC WIN 2000 like win2003@mydomain.com and make your machine a member of existing domain. Dont forget to give your new machine a valid IP. After that promove your machine as a sedondary domain controller.Don't transfer 5 roles of DOMAIN CONTROLLER immidiately.Keep your new Domain in test for about 1 month.Please don't use in your new server HDD SATA O SATA2 IN RAID5, BUT SCSI ONLY.Once you are convinced about stability of this machine proceed with further steps.
    Best reggards
    Gazmend Ajdini

• +
    0 Votes
    animatech

is good and has information in it.
    I suggest you perform a bit of research before upgrading just to make sure all will work ok.
    The good thing is that win server 2003 is installed by default in a mix mode that will be compatible with you running DC this means that you can join it to the domain as a test system and check that all is working correctly once you are happy you can raise it's functionality to be the main DC in the business.

+
    0 Votes
    gazmend73

First you must install win2000 support tools in your old DC to extend objects of AD and make it compatible with win2003 server.Have a look inside cd with OS 2003.
    After that use in your old DC following commands:adprep /forestprep adprep /domainprep .Once everything seems to be fine ,install win2003 server in your new machine.Create a new account in your DC WIN 2000 like win2003@mydomain.com and make your machine a member of existing domain. Dont forget to give your new machine a valid IP. After that promove your machine as a sedondary domain controller.Don't transfer 5 roles of DOMAIN CONTROLLER immidiately.Keep your new Domain in test for about 1 month.Please don't use in your new server HDD SATA O SATA2 IN RAID5, BUT SCSI ONLY.Once you are convinced about stability of this machine proceed with further steps.
    Best reggards
    Gazmend Ajdini