Questions

Moving Outlook 2003 pst file to Outlook 2007 file

+
0 Votes

Moving Outlook 2003 pst file to Outlook 2007 file

livelove_laugh
Hello,
I have not been able to successfully move my Outlook 2003 .pst file over to Outlook 2007. What I did was close Outlook 2003 on my Windows XP machine and went to the location of the .pst file. I then burned that .pst to DVD (since it was so big). I put the DVD in the Vista machine with Outlook 2007 on it and tried to import it and get the error "Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file." It is located in the same folder as the original 2007 .pst file yet it is renamed. What am I doing incorrect?? Please help.
Miya
  • +
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

Copy the 2003 pst file to the vista hard drive and remove the read only attribute. Then try to import it to 2007, I think that may help.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

It will help no end so I would suggest coping the Complete contents of the File on the DVD to a Temp Folder on the Vista HDD which can be called anything but it's generally easier if you call it Temp E-Mail or something similar as you'll never mistake it at a latter point.

Then you should be able to do a standard Import into Outlook without a problem.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Well...I tried this too and still cannot movemy .pst file from 2003 to 2007. More suggestions are welcome, please. Thank You, Miya

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

This was done and still getting the same error. Thank You Miya

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

The copy to dvd may have corrupted the pst file on the dvd copy, try copying the 2003 file again from your xp pc to another dvd, then copy it to the vista pc. The point of getting it to the hard drive of the vista pc is to eliminate the inherent read only status of the dvd, you cannot import pst files directly from cd or dvd. If you still experience problems try this from Microsoft:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100758311033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033#1

this details the use of the Inbox repair tool.

Come on back if you still need help.

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Well, this did not work either. I am beginning to think that 2003's .pst file is not compatible with 2007's .pst file. My next move is to try using a serial cable and try moving it that way but I will have to try that maybe late tonight or tomorrow because I know it will take some time.

Miya

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

open this pst file in outlook 2003 without trouble?

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

The .pst file does open in 2003

Miya

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

how to converter my mail file of ms office 2007 to ms office 2009 pst format. I'm having problem with my exchange server.

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

heard of office 2009/office 14 but did not know that it is now available.

So not knowing anything about it but knowing that it is a Microsoft product, I would think that you can import your older pst files into the new format just as has happened with previous versions.

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

by uninstalling office 2007 it automatically convert mail file to *.pst then i have copy that *.pst to some other folder. install office 2003 & restore on it it works. thank you very much.

dhruba

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

With opening a PST file in 2007 from either Office XP or 2003 though to be fair I'm using XP Pro and not Vista because it's incompatible with every Mission Critical Business Piece of Software that I use.

I've not had any problems with backing up the files to different folder on the HDD of the machine that they are coming off then coping them to a Thumb Drive then to the machine with the new Office version on it and then importing the files into the current Outlook program.

I don't know if you are running Vista if this has any effect but from what I've tested so far I don't think that Vista is anywhere near ready for any form of Business Deployment for quite some time yet.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Oh no, I am not insane enough to run any Microsoft product when it is first deployed. This is a test computer with Vista on it. We will more than likely wait a year and a half before making a corporate deployment. There are other programs we use that just are not working with Vista not to mention it does now work well with many proprietary hardware drivers.

Earlier I ended up moving over the .pst file via serial cable. It is just about done.

Miya
    And the saga continues.........

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Before considering if/when it gets deployed.

But I have a Volume License Copy of Vista here that I might start to take a serious look at in about 12 months. I just wanted to see how different the RTM was to the Beta's and the answer is not much. :^0

But that just might have been one of the best investments that I ever made as with the ability of WGA to deactivate Vista I'm far less likely to ever deploy it and I'm looking for some alternative OS that is usable by the end users without them noticing a massive difference to Windows. I've been asked for a couple of years now what was available to replace Windows and I'm now making a serious look at what is available that is usable by the masses and while I'll stick to Debian on my NB I can see that they is a growing need now for something that works and is easy to use to replace Windows.

Best of luck with your endeavours.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    mpuskar

I think I have your answer. I have the same problem. Then I found an article talking about repairing corrupt files. When I went through the repair program it made a backup of the pst before repairing it. The repair failed because it was read only, but the .bak file renamed was no longer read only I can do anything I need with it. The progema is in /programfiles/microsoft office/office12/scanpst.exe. Run it browse for file and hit repair. Find the .bak and rename it. Disco!

Office 2007 is not worth all the hassles. I upgraded to vista and cannot go backwards. Lesson learned.

Mark

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

I don think u need to import your *.pst in outlook 2007 it automatically convert convert from *.pst to outlook 2007 but to bring *.pst back from outlook 2007. just uninstall outlook 2007 it will automatically bring your *.pst in previouse format i have done same way & restore my old *.pst from outlook 2007 to outlook 2003 cause outlook 2007 is not compatible with my exchange server thats wny i have don same way. bye

+
    0 Votes
    bbcmember

I just put in a new hard drive and installed the latest version of Office 2007. I kept the data and archive files from Outlook 2003 so I could import them into Outlook 2007 and get back to business. However, that did not happen. It was able to read and bring up most of the data, but I am missing some folders which are critical.

The critical folders are folders that were created manually. They were used to store email messages that came in that were important. They were simply dragged from the Inbox and put into that folder. There were also folders within that folder. I'm not sure if these folders and subfolders were in the Inbox or not. They may not have been.

The way I imported it was by going to TOOLS>ACCOUNT SETTINGS>DATA FILES tab>and pointed to the old PST file.

I also pointed to the archive.pst file as well, but later went to FILE>ARCHIVE and pointed to the old archive.pst file in there. Bot ways did not reveal the folders that are needed.

Is Outlook 2007 not able to read all data from Outlook 2003 pst files, or is there a fix for this?

Old Hard drive : WinXP Pro
    New Hard drive: WinXP Home

Please advise.

+
    0 Votes
    cwelch

I was able to copy the .pst file to Outlook 2007 but I cannot see the contents in the navigation pain. The data management file is still looking to the old file. I found it odd that I was not asked to replace the file when I copied it like I have in the past. Instead a new file was created. Any suggestions?

• +
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

Copy the 2003 pst file to the vista hard drive and remove the read only attribute. Then try to import it to 2007, I think that may help.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

It will help no end so I would suggest coping the Complete contents of the File on the DVD to a Temp Folder on the Vista HDD which can be called anything but it's generally easier if you call it Temp E-Mail or something similar as you'll never mistake it at a latter point.

Then you should be able to do a standard Import into Outlook without a problem.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Well...I tried this too and still cannot movemy .pst file from 2003 to 2007. More suggestions are welcome, please. Thank You, Miya

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

This was done and still getting the same error. Thank You Miya

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

The copy to dvd may have corrupted the pst file on the dvd copy, try copying the 2003 file again from your xp pc to another dvd, then copy it to the vista pc. The point of getting it to the hard drive of the vista pc is to eliminate the inherent read only status of the dvd, you cannot import pst files directly from cd or dvd. If you still experience problems try this from Microsoft:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100758311033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033#1

this details the use of the Inbox repair tool.

Come on back if you still need help.

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Well, this did not work either. I am beginning to think that 2003's .pst file is not compatible with 2007's .pst file. My next move is to try using a serial cable and try moving it that way but I will have to try that maybe late tonight or tomorrow because I know it will take some time.

Miya

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

open this pst file in outlook 2003 without trouble?

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

The .pst file does open in 2003

Miya

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

how to converter my mail file of ms office 2007 to ms office 2009 pst format. I'm having problem with my exchange server.

+
    0 Votes
    Michael Jay

heard of office 2009/office 14 but did not know that it is now available.

So not knowing anything about it but knowing that it is a Microsoft product, I would think that you can import your older pst files into the new format just as has happened with previous versions.

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

by uninstalling office 2007 it automatically convert mail file to *.pst then i have copy that *.pst to some other folder. install office 2003 & restore on it it works. thank you very much.

dhruba

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

With opening a PST file in 2007 from either Office XP or 2003 though to be fair I'm using XP Pro and not Vista because it's incompatible with every Mission Critical Business Piece of Software that I use.

I've not had any problems with backing up the files to different folder on the HDD of the machine that they are coming off then coping them to a Thumb Drive then to the machine with the new Office version on it and then importing the files into the current Outlook program.

I don't know if you are running Vista if this has any effect but from what I've tested so far I don't think that Vista is anywhere near ready for any form of Business Deployment for quite some time yet.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    livelove_laugh

Oh no, I am not insane enough to run any Microsoft product when it is first deployed. This is a test computer with Vista on it. We will more than likely wait a year and a half before making a corporate deployment. There are other programs we use that just are not working with Vista not to mention it does now work well with many proprietary hardware drivers.

Earlier I ended up moving over the .pst file via serial cable. It is just about done.

Miya
    And the saga continues.........

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Before considering if/when it gets deployed.

But I have a Volume License Copy of Vista here that I might start to take a serious look at in about 12 months. I just wanted to see how different the RTM was to the Beta's and the answer is not much. :^0

But that just might have been one of the best investments that I ever made as with the ability of WGA to deactivate Vista I'm far less likely to ever deploy it and I'm looking for some alternative OS that is usable by the end users without them noticing a massive difference to Windows. I've been asked for a couple of years now what was available to replace Windows and I'm now making a serious look at what is available that is usable by the masses and while I'll stick to Debian on my NB I can see that they is a growing need now for something that works and is easy to use to replace Windows.

Best of luck with your endeavours.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    mpuskar

I think I have your answer. I have the same problem. Then I found an article talking about repairing corrupt files. When I went through the repair program it made a backup of the pst before repairing it. The repair failed because it was read only, but the .bak file renamed was no longer read only I can do anything I need with it. The progema is in /programfiles/microsoft office/office12/scanpst.exe. Run it browse for file and hit repair. Find the .bak and rename it. Disco!

Office 2007 is not worth all the hassles. I upgraded to vista and cannot go backwards. Lesson learned.

Mark

+
    0 Votes
    kath_man85

I don think u need to import your *.pst in outlook 2007 it automatically convert convert from *.pst to outlook 2007 but to bring *.pst back from outlook 2007. just uninstall outlook 2007 it will automatically bring your *.pst in previouse format i have done same way & restore my old *.pst from outlook 2007 to outlook 2003 cause outlook 2007 is not compatible with my exchange server thats wny i have don same way. bye

+
    0 Votes
    bbcmember

I just put in a new hard drive and installed the latest version of Office 2007. I kept the data and archive files from Outlook 2003 so I could import them into Outlook 2007 and get back to business. However, that did not happen. It was able to read and bring up most of the data, but I am missing some folders which are critical.

The critical folders are folders that were created manually. They were used to store email messages that came in that were important. They were simply dragged from the Inbox and put into that folder. There were also folders within that folder. I'm not sure if these folders and subfolders were in the Inbox or not. They may not have been.

The way I imported it was by going to TOOLS>ACCOUNT SETTINGS>DATA FILES tab>and pointed to the old PST file.

I also pointed to the archive.pst file as well, but later went to FILE>ARCHIVE and pointed to the old archive.pst file in there. Bot ways did not reveal the folders that are needed.

Is Outlook 2007 not able to read all data from Outlook 2003 pst files, or is there a fix for this?

Old Hard drive : WinXP Pro
    New Hard drive: WinXP Home

Please advise.

+
    0 Votes
    cwelch

I was able to copy the .pst file to Outlook 2007 but I cannot see the contents in the navigation pain. The data management file is still looking to the old file. I found it odd that I was not asked to replace the file when I copied it like I have in the past. Instead a new file was created. Any suggestions?