Questions

MS Outlook 2007 wouldn't save emails sent out

+
0 Votes

MS Outlook 2007 wouldn't save emails sent out

Healer
I have checked the setting and it is correct as to saving all emails sent out but it is not doing it at present. I am going to re-install or repair the MS Outlook 2007 hoping it would solve the problem.

Is there a registry record I can check or manipulate to overcome this problem or any other way to get the feature to happen?
  • +
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Who is your email provider?

(MSN, Hotmail, GMail, other...)

What protocol are you using to check your email?

(POP3, IMAP, HTTP...)

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

OptusNet.com.au set up as pop3.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Based on your original post, I am assuming you have already done the following:

Tools > Options > Email Options > Checked the "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" option

If that is the case, you may have a problem with your Outlook profile. Since Outlook allows you to create more than one mail profile, why don't we leave your current profile alone and create an additional profile for testing? If the new profile works properly, we can migrate your Outlook items in the next step.

First make sure Outlook is closed, then open the "Mail" setup utility in the Windows Control Panel. Click "Show Profiles," then "Add." Enter a name for the new profile, like "OptusNet," and click OK. Instead of having Outlook automatically determine your settings, check the box next to "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" and click Next. Enter your name and email address, set the account type to "POP3," set the incoming and outgoing mailserver names to "mail.optusnet.com.au", enter your email username and password, check the "Remember password" box, then click on "More Settings." Change the Mail Account name to something like "OptusNet Mail." Click on the "Outgoing Server" tab and place a check in the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server." Click OK. Click on "Test Account Settings" to make sure you entered the settings properly. If so, go ahead and click Next and Finish. You should now be back at the "Mail" dialog box. Click on the "Prompt for a profile to be used" radio button and select OK to finish the profile setup.

Now go ahead and restart Outlook, making sure to select the new "OptusNet" profile when prompted. First, make sure that "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" is checked by going to Tools, Options, then Email Options. Next, fire off an email and see if a copy was stored in the Sent Items folder.

If all is well, let me know and I'll help you migrate the Outlook data from the old profile into the new one. After that, all you have to do is delete the old profile.

Hope this helps!

Hillyman

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

VERY GOOD advice but a bit "Techy". I will post a "User" level advice to destroy the usual "MS mysteries" on this subject.

In the mean-time, I have to do the housework and get the dinner ready before "Her" gets in.

I promise that I will be back soon.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I am a technical person and I do technical support work so I certainly prefer technical advice. It doesn't matter what level of advice I get, most importantly it solves the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks for you detailed procedure. I didn't know that was what you were referring.

If it works, I presume the next step is just a matter of using the Import and Export Wizard of exporting the current data, deleting the old profile and importing the old data again.

Thanks a lot!

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

You welcome! Happy to be able to help.

For safeties sake, I would import the data into the new profile before deleting the old profile, but yes, you get the idea. Right on brother!

Let me know if you need any help with the data migration or profile deletion. The old profile can be deleted in the same spot where the new profile was added - via the Mail setup utility in the Windows Control Panel.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I have once deleted the email account and re-created it. It helped me solve the problem of "550 5.7.1 <email address>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [ip address]"

This procedure is very similar to creating a parallel profile. This is more like renewing the profile because all the data is still intact.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Understanding Outlook Profiles, Accounts, Data Files, and Email Protocols are some of the fundamentals you will need to know as a service technician in the field. Learning how to manage them, configure them, repair them, and use them for troubleshooting are essentials.

It is comforting to know that even as the face of Outlook changes when new versions are released, these fundamental building blocks are still there for you to work with in your efforts to configure and troubleshoot Outlook for end users. Learning how to manipulate these same building blocks in other email applications is important as well.

So did we resolve your problem?

Hillyman, MCP

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

'Outlook' does not care which provider is utilised!

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

While Outlook may not care what domain name he types in, "I CARE" since I am helping him troubleshoot the problem!

I asked him the question in order to better understand his situation and therefore provide an accurate solution. While there a number of reasons to ask the question I asked, here is one:

Many people who check Hotmail and MSN accounts with Outlook install the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. If he was using the Outlook Connector, I would have asked him to log into his Hotmail or MSN account via the web to make sure that "Save Sent Messages" was enabled in his webmail account settings. I have been on service calls where sent messages were not being saved in Outlook because of this exact issue, even though the option was enabled within Outlook.

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

I have been working with 2007 for some time now. I had to install the 2003 capabilities so that I can "Work in parallel" using both the 2003 "Drop-Downs" and the 2007 "Ribbons" in order to make a more sturdy transition. Basically, the proper way to halt this apparent loss of data is to enter your options menu in 'Outlook' and ensure that you control what you want as opposed to relying on the MS defaults. You can also create your own "Sent" folder.

However, I have been "Bending" systems for some 30 years and have only heard of this "Syndrom" once (When the user deleted the "Sent items" by mistake).

If you reinstall, make sure that you backup (PST - Export - To another folder) your E-mails to another folder than the one provided within Outlook' and once you have 'Outlook' running properly, import your data from that folder.

Remember, it is difficult for software providers to "2nd guess" the hardware that you have bought or "Put-together" and your own foibles with regard to handling both the soft and hardware.

I would NOT be mucking about with the registry!!

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

WHOOPS! Forgot to mention - DO NOT FORGET to include (Click) "Sub-Folders" in your PST.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

whether the Filter of Export Personal Folders is for inclusion or exclusion, i.e. filter in or filter out?

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

When exporting to a file using Outlook's "Import and Export Wizard", the Filter utility is used to SELECT items for INCLUSION in the export.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I am curious to know what you meant by "install the 2003 capabilities so that I can 'Work in parallel' using both the 2003 'Drop-Downs' and the 2007 'Ribbons'". If I had both 2003 and 2007 installed on the same computer I found that the program re-installed itself every time I ran a different version. What an annoyance!

Could you expand on "enter your options menu in 'Outlook' and ensure that you control what you want as opposed to relying on the MS defaults"? How would you get it to save in another folder you create?

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

A program is available that allows duel bars in 2007 which shows the 2003 accesses below the 2007 ribbon (I will return with the name). Basically, you install 'Office 2007' and then install the "Add-On".

I will also expand very soon but I have to "Chaos factor" my instructions to you as many people watch these posts and 'Tech Republic' would "Beat me up" for posting incorrect instructions.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

this response of yours. I had supposed you were talking about having both 2003 and 2007 installed on the same computer. Are you saying we are to install 2003 as Add-On and we can use both versions equally.

I help in a computer club. Most computers have all applications of both versions installed. It installs itself every time when we switch from one version to the other.

By the way I am not quite sure what you meant by "'Chaos factor' my instructions"?

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

NO! There is an "Add-on" that allows you to work with 2007, with all of the 2007 ribbon functionality and also have 2003 Drop-downs (2003 is better than 2007 ribbon functionality and control).

However, I state again that I have not been able to re create your issue and my 'MS Office' - NOT being able to repair.

You do not try to run both 'MS Office' systems as 2007 will "Update" your 2003 and copy your 2003 settings.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Outlook 2007 WILL NOT allow you to change the folder where "Sent Items" are stored when checking a POP3 email account.

Outlook 2007 WILL allow you to change the folder where "Sent Items" are stored when checking an Exchange or IMAP email account.

Reference:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101642161033.aspx

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

CORRECT - Unless the copy of 'Office 2007' is "Hooky" or corrupt. I hold a "Developer's" license and an engineering copy - SO - I can "Do what I like" even deleting what I want. However, I cannot seem to re create this syndrom as any way that I rescue - Works.

And - You can import the 2003 drop-downs, to work along side the 2007 ribbon, with a piece of 3rd party software. This to help with the transition. 2003 has more powerful functionality.

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

Regardless of the amount of good advice you have received from others. I have deleted my "Sent items" and repaired. The folder worked properly. I have also uninstalled 2007 and deleted every record from the registry (All 0s!). I also installed 2007 and "Hard reset" my bench system during the install and re commenced the install. - No problems. At this point, I am at a loss - But, I will succeed. At this point, I am looking at the possibility of "Bad coding" on your disc (Watch out for grease and fingure marks or a bad download!).

I have NEVER been beaten before!

• +
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Who is your email provider?

(MSN, Hotmail, GMail, other...)

What protocol are you using to check your email?

(POP3, IMAP, HTTP...)

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

OptusNet.com.au set up as pop3.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Based on your original post, I am assuming you have already done the following:

Tools > Options > Email Options > Checked the "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" option

If that is the case, you may have a problem with your Outlook profile. Since Outlook allows you to create more than one mail profile, why don't we leave your current profile alone and create an additional profile for testing? If the new profile works properly, we can migrate your Outlook items in the next step.

First make sure Outlook is closed, then open the "Mail" setup utility in the Windows Control Panel. Click "Show Profiles," then "Add." Enter a name for the new profile, like "OptusNet," and click OK. Instead of having Outlook automatically determine your settings, check the box next to "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" and click Next. Enter your name and email address, set the account type to "POP3," set the incoming and outgoing mailserver names to "mail.optusnet.com.au", enter your email username and password, check the "Remember password" box, then click on "More Settings." Change the Mail Account name to something like "OptusNet Mail." Click on the "Outgoing Server" tab and place a check in the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server." Click OK. Click on "Test Account Settings" to make sure you entered the settings properly. If so, go ahead and click Next and Finish. You should now be back at the "Mail" dialog box. Click on the "Prompt for a profile to be used" radio button and select OK to finish the profile setup.

Now go ahead and restart Outlook, making sure to select the new "OptusNet" profile when prompted. First, make sure that "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" is checked by going to Tools, Options, then Email Options. Next, fire off an email and see if a copy was stored in the Sent Items folder.

If all is well, let me know and I'll help you migrate the Outlook data from the old profile into the new one. After that, all you have to do is delete the old profile.

Hope this helps!

Hillyman

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

VERY GOOD advice but a bit "Techy". I will post a "User" level advice to destroy the usual "MS mysteries" on this subject.

In the mean-time, I have to do the housework and get the dinner ready before "Her" gets in.

I promise that I will be back soon.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I am a technical person and I do technical support work so I certainly prefer technical advice. It doesn't matter what level of advice I get, most importantly it solves the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

Thanks for you detailed procedure. I didn't know that was what you were referring.

If it works, I presume the next step is just a matter of using the Import and Export Wizard of exporting the current data, deleting the old profile and importing the old data again.

Thanks a lot!

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

You welcome! Happy to be able to help.

For safeties sake, I would import the data into the new profile before deleting the old profile, but yes, you get the idea. Right on brother!

Let me know if you need any help with the data migration or profile deletion. The old profile can be deleted in the same spot where the new profile was added - via the Mail setup utility in the Windows Control Panel.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I have once deleted the email account and re-created it. It helped me solve the problem of "550 5.7.1 <email address>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [ip address]"

This procedure is very similar to creating a parallel profile. This is more like renewing the profile because all the data is still intact.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Understanding Outlook Profiles, Accounts, Data Files, and Email Protocols are some of the fundamentals you will need to know as a service technician in the field. Learning how to manage them, configure them, repair them, and use them for troubleshooting are essentials.

It is comforting to know that even as the face of Outlook changes when new versions are released, these fundamental building blocks are still there for you to work with in your efforts to configure and troubleshoot Outlook for end users. Learning how to manipulate these same building blocks in other email applications is important as well.

So did we resolve your problem?

Hillyman, MCP

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

'Outlook' does not care which provider is utilised!

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

While Outlook may not care what domain name he types in, "I CARE" since I am helping him troubleshoot the problem!

I asked him the question in order to better understand his situation and therefore provide an accurate solution. While there a number of reasons to ask the question I asked, here is one:

Many people who check Hotmail and MSN accounts with Outlook install the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. If he was using the Outlook Connector, I would have asked him to log into his Hotmail or MSN account via the web to make sure that "Save Sent Messages" was enabled in his webmail account settings. I have been on service calls where sent messages were not being saved in Outlook because of this exact issue, even though the option was enabled within Outlook.

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

I have been working with 2007 for some time now. I had to install the 2003 capabilities so that I can "Work in parallel" using both the 2003 "Drop-Downs" and the 2007 "Ribbons" in order to make a more sturdy transition. Basically, the proper way to halt this apparent loss of data is to enter your options menu in 'Outlook' and ensure that you control what you want as opposed to relying on the MS defaults. You can also create your own "Sent" folder.

However, I have been "Bending" systems for some 30 years and have only heard of this "Syndrom" once (When the user deleted the "Sent items" by mistake).

If you reinstall, make sure that you backup (PST - Export - To another folder) your E-mails to another folder than the one provided within Outlook' and once you have 'Outlook' running properly, import your data from that folder.

Remember, it is difficult for software providers to "2nd guess" the hardware that you have bought or "Put-together" and your own foibles with regard to handling both the soft and hardware.

I would NOT be mucking about with the registry!!

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

WHOOPS! Forgot to mention - DO NOT FORGET to include (Click) "Sub-Folders" in your PST.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

whether the Filter of Export Personal Folders is for inclusion or exclusion, i.e. filter in or filter out?

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

When exporting to a file using Outlook's "Import and Export Wizard", the Filter utility is used to SELECT items for INCLUSION in the export.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

I am curious to know what you meant by "install the 2003 capabilities so that I can 'Work in parallel' using both the 2003 'Drop-Downs' and the 2007 'Ribbons'". If I had both 2003 and 2007 installed on the same computer I found that the program re-installed itself every time I ran a different version. What an annoyance!

Could you expand on "enter your options menu in 'Outlook' and ensure that you control what you want as opposed to relying on the MS defaults"? How would you get it to save in another folder you create?

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

A program is available that allows duel bars in 2007 which shows the 2003 accesses below the 2007 ribbon (I will return with the name). Basically, you install 'Office 2007' and then install the "Add-On".

I will also expand very soon but I have to "Chaos factor" my instructions to you as many people watch these posts and 'Tech Republic' would "Beat me up" for posting incorrect instructions.

+
    0 Votes
    Healer

this response of yours. I had supposed you were talking about having both 2003 and 2007 installed on the same computer. Are you saying we are to install 2003 as Add-On and we can use both versions equally.

I help in a computer club. Most computers have all applications of both versions installed. It installs itself every time when we switch from one version to the other.

By the way I am not quite sure what you meant by "'Chaos factor' my instructions"?

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

NO! There is an "Add-on" that allows you to work with 2007, with all of the 2007 ribbon functionality and also have 2003 Drop-downs (2003 is better than 2007 ribbon functionality and control).

However, I state again that I have not been able to re create your issue and my 'MS Office' - NOT being able to repair.

You do not try to run both 'MS Office' systems as 2007 will "Update" your 2003 and copy your 2003 settings.

+
    0 Votes
    Hillyman

Outlook 2007 WILL NOT allow you to change the folder where "Sent Items" are stored when checking a POP3 email account.

Outlook 2007 WILL allow you to change the folder where "Sent Items" are stored when checking an Exchange or IMAP email account.

Reference:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101642161033.aspx

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

CORRECT - Unless the copy of 'Office 2007' is "Hooky" or corrupt. I hold a "Developer's" license and an engineering copy - SO - I can "Do what I like" even deleting what I want. However, I cannot seem to re create this syndrom as any way that I rescue - Works.

And - You can import the 2003 drop-downs, to work along side the 2007 ribbon, with a piece of 3rd party software. This to help with the transition. 2003 has more powerful functionality.

+
    0 Votes
    sdbett

Regardless of the amount of good advice you have received from others. I have deleted my "Sent items" and repaired. The folder worked properly. I have also uninstalled 2007 and deleted every record from the registry (All 0s!). I also installed 2007 and "Hard reset" my bench system during the install and re commenced the install. - No problems. At this point, I am at a loss - But, I will succeed. At this point, I am looking at the possibility of "Bad coding" on your disc (Watch out for grease and fingure marks or a bad download!).

I have NEVER been beaten before!