Questions

MS Virtual PC 2007 internet via USB modem on host.

+
0 Votes

MS Virtual PC 2007 internet via USB modem on host.

wats679
I'm using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on my XP laptop. I am using USB Modem to connect to the Internet.
I have Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Server 2003 VMs.

Can my virtual PCs connect to the internet via my USB internet modem?
How do I configure that?

I used to be able to connect them when I had ADSL Internet modem, but need to travel around, so i switched to a portable internet connection with this USB Modem.

Thank you in advance!
  • +
    0 Votes
    Bruce Epper

I have found that you can use your USB devices (including modems) in VPC2007 VMs if you enable the Guest OS Integration features. Simply start each VM you wish to use with this feature, click on Tools -> Enable integration features and let it run to install the required software.

Be aware that this also allows access to your other hard disks in the system, not only the .VHD. After the software is installed, you can selectively disable access to specific drives (or any other devices you don't want shared), by going into Tools -> Settings... and clearing the checkboxes for any devices you don't want it to be able to access.

• +
    0 Votes
    Bruce Epper

I have found that you can use your USB devices (including modems) in VPC2007 VMs if you enable the Guest OS Integration features. Simply start each VM you wish to use with this feature, click on Tools -> Enable integration features and let it run to install the required software.

Be aware that this also allows access to your other hard disks in the system, not only the .VHD. After the software is installed, you can selectively disable access to specific drives (or any other devices you don't want shared), by going into Tools -> Settings... and clearing the checkboxes for any devices you don't want it to be able to access.