Questions

Must press F1 key to find hard drive on Dell 8100 listed in bios

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Must press F1 key to find hard drive on Dell 8100 listed in bios

millhouselives
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and original hard drive crashed. Installed one that I have it is a quantum fireball 20gb.

Everything is OK, BUT, in order to access the hard drive on boot up I keep receiving a screen that ask me to either press F1 to continue or to press F2 for setup. In the setup bios screen it shows the harddrive listed as primary drive 0. It also shows the correct size and type. Next, if I hit the escape key to exit out of the bios screen, the computer will then boot to the windows 98 o.s. and all is well.

How do I avoid having to do this everytime I boot up the computer?

thanks for any help
Steve
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Exit BIOS?

If you didn't the old HDD will still be listed there and that will be giving you the error message.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Mictlantecuttli

Hi is there any form of RAID controller or SATA expansion card in the system?

Normally this type of F1 error indicates a problem discovering hard drives. The system then searches for other cards, HDDs etc.

+
    0 Votes
    Mictlantecuttli

Normally this type of F1 error indicates a problem discovering hard drives. The system then searches for other cards, HDDs etc.

+
    0 Votes
    sparkle_126

Tell us what the exact wording is before it says to go into setup or continue. That, i feel, is the key.

+
    0 Votes
    millhouselives

Well...I want to thank everybody for their quick replies. When I booted up the computer to get "exact wording" as per sparkle here is what I have!

Phonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
    Copyright 1985--1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright 1990--2001 Dell Computer Corporation
    All Rights Reserved

Dell System Dimension 8100
    www.dell.com

Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
    Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Press F2 Show Bios Setup screen, shows hard drive listed as Primary Drive 0, shows Primary Drive 1 as unknown device. Changed Primary Drive 1 to off and now all OK!

After reading this, I noticed myself that my drive was listed as Primary 0 and the bios was looking for drives at Primary 0 and Primary 1. I only have one drive and in my efforts to fix this problem I had activated the bios setting to look for drive as primary and secondary. So when I turned off the "auto selection on Primary 1" my problem was solved. Just sharing this in case someelse has problem in future.

+
    0 Votes
    dvtaylor

Hey I might be a little late but your fix solve my problem as well, thanks for the info

+
    0 Votes
    lefty.crupps

I've added a serial card since this Dell Dimension 3000 has only one hard drive slot The bootup always prompts me for F1 to continue. If I turn off C:\ booting, it doesn't boot at all -- but I am not sure what it is defining as C:\ since (1) there is no hard drive on the IDE0 Primary, and (2) this is Linux not Windows, so there is no C:\ at all...

AFAIK I've turned off all references to other hard drives in the BIOS, but I'll try it again after reading further in this thread. Thanks all.

+
    0 Votes
    wigleyclan

Thank you for this, I have been dealing with this for months and just now decided to search for a solution...yours worked perfectly! Thanks again!

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Exit BIOS?

If you didn't the old HDD will still be listed there and that will be giving you the error message.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Mictlantecuttli

+
    0 Votes
    Mictlantecuttli

+
    0 Votes
    sparkle_126

Tell us what the exact wording is before it says to go into setup or continue. That, i feel, is the key.

+
    0 Votes
    millhouselives

Well...I want to thank everybody for their quick replies. When I booted up the computer to get "exact wording" as per sparkle here is what I have!

Phonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
    Copyright 1985--1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright 1990--2001 Dell Computer Corporation
    All Rights Reserved

Dell System Dimension 8100
    www.dell.com

Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
    Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Press F2 Show Bios Setup screen, shows hard drive listed as Primary Drive 0, shows Primary Drive 1 as unknown device. Changed Primary Drive 1 to off and now all OK!

After reading this, I noticed myself that my drive was listed as Primary 0 and the bios was looking for drives at Primary 0 and Primary 1. I only have one drive and in my efforts to fix this problem I had activated the bios setting to look for drive as primary and secondary. So when I turned off the "auto selection on Primary 1" my problem was solved. Just sharing this in case someelse has problem in future.

+
    0 Votes
    dvtaylor

Hey I might be a little late but your fix solve my problem as well, thanks for the info

+
    0 Votes
    lefty.crupps

I've added a serial card since this Dell Dimension 3000 has only one hard drive slot The bootup always prompts me for F1 to continue. If I turn off C:\ booting, it doesn't boot at all -- but I am not sure what it is defining as C:\ since (1) there is no hard drive on the IDE0 Primary, and (2) this is Linux not Windows, so there is no C:\ at all...

AFAIK I've turned off all references to other hard drives in the BIOS, but I'll try it again after reading further in this thread. Thanks all.

+
    0 Votes
    wigleyclan

Thank you for this, I have been dealing with this for months and just now decided to search for a solution...yours worked perfectly! Thanks again!