Answer for:

Need some level 1 helpdesk related tasks and resolutions

Message 14 of 22

View entire thread
0 Votes

Exactly what you say or how you "approach the customer on the phone" is up to you and your exact personality, of course, but as a general rule you should simply speak to people the way you would want to be spoken to.

When servicing less tech-savvy end users, the main thing you will need is patience. Try to put yourself in their shoes. Really. Also, remember not to make the mistake of thinking that a lack of computer skills implies a lack of intelligence -- though sometimes it will be tempting ;). We all have different skill sets. Just imagine yourself sitting down with a money manager who is trying to explain to you how investing in certain derivatives will be in your interest. You probably don't have the tiniest fraction of his or her knowledge in such a specific area, but I am betting you would not want that person to talk to you like you were an idiot.

Also, remember that your "people skills" are the main thing that hiring managers are going to be looking at. It is a lot easier for the typical geek to learn new technologies / IT skills than to suddenly develop a patient, friendly personality, and the person interviewing you knows this!

Finally, you definitely don't want to take the advice of the Bruce guy above, where he said :
"You should handle these the same way I do. Once I get a (possibly) warm body on the other end of the line, I tell them they either need to follow my instructions or boot me up to the next support level since I have been troubleshooting electronics and computers for longer than they have been alive. It generally works."
I imagine that would pretty much **** off anyone. Notice that he is asking to be booted "up to the next support level" even though he has "been troubleshooting electronics and computers for longer than they have been alive." I am betting that with a better attitude, he would have long already been at that higher support level. Instead he has all this tech experience, but is still in a lower level tech support role. Hmmmm.

In short, just be friendly with your co-workers and treat people like you want to be treated. You'll be amazed how much better things will work out.