Questions

Need to recover Outlook 2003 entries

+
0 Votes

Need to recover Outlook 2003 entries

susanmsmith26
Hi! My hard drive died but I can still get to the data. Around the same time, my Dell Axiom reset and I lost everything on it. I rebuilt my system on a new drive and need to recover my Outlook data from the bad drive. Does anyone know how to do this? I have a backup.pst file but it is too old. Thanks!
ps, I know, I know. Should have been doing more frequent backups. :-0
  • +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Plug the old drive in as a secondary on the rebuilt Dell. It will most likely become drive D. Then you can search for the .PST files to see where they're at.

Assuming a normal install, the Outlook PST files would normally be located in either C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook --or-- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ... That is, of course, unless you changed the location of the data files while running on the other hard drive. Since the old drive would become drive D when plugged into the new computer, change the drive letter in the paths mentioned above.

Copy and paste the PST file(s) ONLY to My Documents on the new computer. Then, using Outlook, import the contents of the PST file(s), one at a time, into your new Outlook. Save the old PST files somewhere, just for backup.

+
    0 Votes
    susanmsmith26

I did not find a .pst file anywhere. I have all hidden files showing so I ma sure didn't miss it. Any other suggestions?

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If you can't find the PST files after searching the whole drive, you're SOL. Sorry, but that's where outlook stores your emails and other stuff.

+
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Where was your Backup.pst located?

+
    0 Votes
    susanmsmith26

I searched for *.pst on any drive that was connected to "my Computer". It didn't find one.

+
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Not sure what to tell you.
    Thumbsup2 gave you the correct procedure for recovering the file. If the HDD is intact and only the bot secftor was damaged then you should be able to find the required file. Scan the HDD for PST and OST files in case the files where not storded in the default location (as described by Thumbsup2).
    If your still unable to locate the files you may have to look at some recovery software in fcase the MFD was also damaged.

Good luck

• +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Plug the old drive in as a secondary on the rebuilt Dell. It will most likely become drive D. Then you can search for the .PST files to see where they're at.

Assuming a normal install, the Outlook PST files would normally be located in either C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook --or-- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ... That is, of course, unless you changed the location of the data files while running on the other hard drive. Since the old drive would become drive D when plugged into the new computer, change the drive letter in the paths mentioned above.

Copy and paste the PST file(s) ONLY to My Documents on the new computer. Then, using Outlook, import the contents of the PST file(s), one at a time, into your new Outlook. Save the old PST files somewhere, just for backup.

+
    0 Votes
    susanmsmith26

I did not find a .pst file anywhere. I have all hidden files showing so I ma sure didn't miss it. Any other suggestions?

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

If you can't find the PST files after searching the whole drive, you're SOL. Sorry, but that's where outlook stores your emails and other stuff.

+
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Where was your Backup.pst located?

+
    0 Votes
    susanmsmith26

I searched for *.pst on any drive that was connected to "my Computer". It didn't find one.

+
    0 Votes
    Travler92

Not sure what to tell you.
    Thumbsup2 gave you the correct procedure for recovering the file. If the HDD is intact and only the bot secftor was damaged then you should be able to find the required file. Scan the HDD for PST and OST files in case the files where not storded in the default location (as described by Thumbsup2).
    If your still unable to locate the files you may have to look at some recovery software in fcase the MFD was also damaged.

Good luck