Questions

Answer for:

New OS With New Motherboard?

Message 42 of 90

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
RobPatten

I have called the activation centre dozens of times when reloading or repairing people's machines.

Only once was I told to speak to the PC manufacturer and this was because Windows had de-activated itself because a pirated CD key had been used to install the software, by whoever originally supplied the computer.

I think you have to be careful when speaking to the activation centre that you just stick to the facts. They are not technical people, they are call centre staff, and if you start telling them about how a BIOS update has caused you problems they are going to think you have called them for technical support and will refer you back to HP (in your case).

They don't want to hear your tales of woe, they only want to know what you are calling for so they can enter it on their computer system and then generate you a new activation code. If you start going off on one you're going to confuse them and the purpose of the call will be misunderstood.

I am glad to hear you got your $50 back, but I don't think I would have paid it to start with. It sounds like they saw you coming.