Questions

Answer for:

New OS With New Motherboard?

Message 80 of 90

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
RobPatten

It would be nice if he let us know if he had tried any of our suggestions before posting back with bits and pieces of information.

I don't think rtroy56 is stupid, but I think he could have done a better job of supplying us with all the relevant facts at the beginning rather than have us all run round playing guessing games.

As it is I think we have finally got to the bottom of it.

What he may find is that when he tried to activate and his system says he is using an incorrect product key, the key shown on the activation screen does not correspond with the product key that is on the OEM sticker on the side of his case.

This is because all the big manufacturers, HP, Dell etc, all release their systems with a "pre-activated" product key (the one that will be displayed on the activation screen). This basically allows them to create recovery CDs which do not require re-activation every time they are used.

So long as the BIOS string matches what the software is expecting, no activation will be required. It would be sensible to assume that an HP pre-activated product key will only work on an HP branded BIOS. Otherwise there is nothing to stop people distributing HP (or Dell etc) installation/recovery CDs and getting an illegal pre-activated copy of XP on their Brand X box.

When the activation screen prompts you, you should change the product key to the one that is on the OEM sticker. This is your individual product key, unique to your computer. Even with a motherboard change, or BIOS change, etc, you should be able to activate with this key even if it involves a call to the activation centre.

I hope that makes sense.