Questions

new raid 5 in existing sbs 2003 environment

+
0 Votes

new raid 5 in existing sbs 2003 environment

justinian81
I just took over a network running an sbs 2003 server with exchange, the server is setup in a RAID 5 config with 20 GB for OS and 130 GB for Data. The server has 4 gb left on the data partition, and 1 gb left on the os partition.
I want to upgrade the storage to a 1TB RAID 5 setup, is there anyway to do this without having to reinstall the OS from scratch?
  • +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

what I would do, it go buy this software

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-raid-5.htm

go buy another drive and stick it in the RAID array using the RAID controller software. resize the partitions with the additional space. I would only buy hard drives that provide enough space on the system drive and where Exchange, SharePoint and if installed SQL are located. For additional storage space, I'd look into NAS or another server [which means more CALs][clean out what's not necessary on the SBS box move what can't be lost to a NAS /external drive to free up space.

Note: do some googling on potential data loss with TB drives on SCSI controllers and RAID arrays.

+
    0 Votes
    Subhashishlaha

Use backup software that support Snapshot technology to take backup of your server. And then restore to new Raid partition.

• +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

what I would do, it go buy this software

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-raid-5.htm

go buy another drive and stick it in the RAID array using the RAID controller software. resize the partitions with the additional space. I would only buy hard drives that provide enough space on the system drive and where Exchange, SharePoint and if installed SQL are located. For additional storage space, I'd look into NAS or another server [which means more CALs][clean out what's not necessary on the SBS box move what can't be lost to a NAS /external drive to free up space.

Note: do some googling on potential data loss with TB drives on SCSI controllers and RAID arrays.

+
    0 Votes
    Subhashishlaha

Use backup software that support Snapshot technology to take backup of your server. And then restore to new Raid partition.