Questions

New to Windows Server 2008 R2 & need to gain experience

+
0 Votes

New to Windows Server 2008 R2 & need to gain experience

jerederd67
I really want to work in the Windows Server 2008 R2 field and am studying to take the certification test. Even with if with a passing score on the test, all of the job listings require EXPERIENCE. I'm trapped in trying to get experience, but can't get a job because I don't have any experience.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully accepted.
  • +
    0 Votes
    gechurch

It's a situation many people find themselves in when starting out. Here are some things you could try:
    * Build a decent home-lab. Some employers will place little value on this because it's not corporate work, others will place a high value on this because of the initiative and dedication it shows. Either way, it's a handy thing to have.
    * Volunteer your services at a local charity/church/whatever
    * Start in a lower-level job (like a helpdesk) and work your way up from there (by declaring your interest in server work at every opportunity, apply for every server job the company advertises for, speak to your boss about your career direction and ask him what you need to do to get where you want to etc)

More and more companies are looking at your online presence so that's another consideration. You could start a blog with some server configuration tips or do some YouTube videos etc to get your name out there.

+
    0 Votes
    gechurch

Oh, and just on your title - don't feel like you have to be learning Server 2008 R2. I started learning on Server 2000 (even though 2003 was out at the time) because the books I was buying second-hand books on Ebay for next to nothing. Even 13 years later most of the core concepts you need to learn haven't changed much.

• +
    0 Votes
    gechurch

It's a situation many people find themselves in when starting out. Here are some things you could try:
    * Build a decent home-lab. Some employers will place little value on this because it's not corporate work, others will place a high value on this because of the initiative and dedication it shows. Either way, it's a handy thing to have.
    * Volunteer your services at a local charity/church/whatever
    * Start in a lower-level job (like a helpdesk) and work your way up from there (by declaring your interest in server work at every opportunity, apply for every server job the company advertises for, speak to your boss about your career direction and ask him what you need to do to get where you want to etc)

More and more companies are looking at your online presence so that's another consideration. You could start a blog with some server configuration tips or do some YouTube videos etc to get your name out there.

+
    0 Votes
    gechurch

Oh, and just on your title - don't feel like you have to be learning Server 2008 R2. I started learning on Server 2000 (even though 2003 was out at the time) because the books I was buying second-hand books on Ebay for next to nothing. Even 13 years later most of the core concepts you need to learn haven't changed much.