Questions

Not able to view screenshots with Outlook 2003

+
0 Votes

Not able to view screenshots with Outlook 2003

scsmith
I have a collection of 5 members in my domain who cannot view pictures (usually screenshots) sent from one specific account on the domain.

The emails show up with image placeholders but you cannot right-click > Show Pictures on them, but when the user forwards or replies to the email the image shows up and they are able to view it.

We are using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and running Microsoft Exchange 2007.

All other users are able to see them fine. There is no extra software that I have found that is shared amongst all the users and the first case appeared on 8/17/2007. I do not believe there were any updates that were released, and if so I would have expected similar results on all PC's on campus or at least images sent from more accounts.

I have tried rebuilding profiles on all machines and had no success. Can anyone help?
  • +
    0 Votes
    dlaureano

Here is how you'll fix the problem.

1-Locate the Outlook Temporary Items folder by opening the Registry and locating HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
    Navigate to the value of this Key. It should be something like: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\ where OLK3D is some randomly generated string that always starts with OLK
    2-Quit Outlook
    3-Delete the contents of the folder
    4-Launch Outlook

One note: you may not be able to navigate to this folder with your mouse. I was unable to see the OLK folder on my machine and instead copied the path from RegEdit into my explorer navigation (pasting into start->run would have also done the trick). Manually opening up the folder allowed me to delete the files and solve the problem as well.

+
    0 Votes
    scsmith

You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much.

+
    0 Votes
    derlenbusch

I delete the temp dir and after about an hour, she can't view screen shots images anymore. Any idea how to make it perminant?
    Dan

+
    0 Votes
    RussellS

Bloody Marvelous!

It fixed my problem.

You are genius.

Thank you.

+
    0 Votes

Wow

g_satija

Thanks for helping out. It was very painful for me.

+
    0 Votes
    klaura

I followed the direction for two users and it worked well. On one however I navigated through the command window and deleted the diretory.

I believe however that there is maybe a better way. THis folder is actually emptied by the Internet Explorer/tools/internet options/delete temporary files command. i haven't tested it to be sure but i believe that by deleting all the temporary internet files that it would allow the screen shots to be viewed.

I also noticed that each of the clients had a folder size about 30MB. The combined level we use is 50 MB but perhaps the default folder is not the only one considered in the total?

+
    0 Votes
    BrendanMeehan

Thanks dlaureano, one of my users had this problem also and I was stumped!

• +
    0 Votes
    dlaureano

Here is how you'll fix the problem.

1-Locate the Outlook Temporary Items folder by opening the Registry and locating HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
    Navigate to the value of this Key. It should be something like: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\ where OLK3D is some randomly generated string that always starts with OLK
    2-Quit Outlook
    3-Delete the contents of the folder
    4-Launch Outlook

One note: you may not be able to navigate to this folder with your mouse. I was unable to see the OLK folder on my machine and instead copied the path from RegEdit into my explorer navigation (pasting into start->run would have also done the trick). Manually opening up the folder allowed me to delete the files and solve the problem as well.

+
    0 Votes
    scsmith

You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much.

+
    0 Votes
    derlenbusch

I delete the temp dir and after about an hour, she can't view screen shots images anymore. Any idea how to make it perminant?
    Dan

+
    0 Votes
    RussellS

Bloody Marvelous!

It fixed my problem.

You are genius.

Thank you.

+
    0 Votes

Wow

g_satija

Thanks for helping out. It was very painful for me.

+
    0 Votes
    klaura

I followed the direction for two users and it worked well. On one however I navigated through the command window and deleted the diretory.

I believe however that there is maybe a better way. THis folder is actually emptied by the Internet Explorer/tools/internet options/delete temporary files command. i haven't tested it to be sure but i believe that by deleting all the temporary internet files that it would allow the screen shots to be viewed.

I also noticed that each of the clients had a folder size about 30MB. The combined level we use is 50 MB but perhaps the default folder is not the only one considered in the total?

+
    0 Votes
    BrendanMeehan

Thanks dlaureano, one of my users had this problem also and I was stumped!